Verns Hat League (2011)
- Event Type
- Hat League
- Event Start
- Event End
Verns League is a TEACHING LEAGUE for beginners and intermediate-level players. NO EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED; just bring your enthusiasm, humor, wit, and interest in chasing plastic. It's a great way to learn ultimate, improve your skills, and meet new people.
Experienced players captain teams and pass on their knowledge and love of the game. Never captained before? No problem. Let us know you're interested and we'll pair you with a "veteran captain" to mentor you.
The season begins after we spring ahead to daylight savings time (Vernal Equinox) and runs for 10 weeks including playoffs.
This year Verns league will be on Friday nights. Block out the 6:30 to 10:30 time slot on Friday evenings from April 1 to June 3.
We have two sets of fields for the games this spring:
- Lower Genesee will have game times from 6:30 to 8:15 and 8:45 to 10:30.
- Woodland Park will have game times from 7:30 to 9:30.
- There will be a few weeks towards the end of May where we are at Kellogg MS or Shoreline Center.
There will be two league wide learning opportunities:
- Pre Season practice on 3/25 at Shoreline Center A 7:00, we'll have a basic skills (throw, catch, cut) and an intermediate skills (marking, getting open, Zone defense) group practice.
- And during the Season, when your game is at Lower Genesee stay late or come early for a 'new skills' practice from 8:15 to 8:45. For the first 4 weeks of the season, we'll be hosting this open practice time for new and developing ultimate players with a few drills and one on one answers for any of your questions.
Playoff brackets are posted!
Check out the seeding and schedule for the finals of Verns here.
Let's have a great 2 weeks of ultimate!
Registration is complete for Verns League. All available spaces in the league have been filled and paid for.
The player fee is $60 and this can be paid online. To pay by check fill one out to "DiscNW" and mail it to DiscNW, Attn: Verns League, PO Box 85112, Seattle, WA 98145.
Your registrtaion fee will get you 10 weeks of ultimate frisbee playing, a custom printed team jersey, and an opportunity to meet other ultimate frisbee players in a fun learning environment.
There will be a lottery for men. So, if you are a man you will initially be placed on the waitlist. Make sure to register before 3/12 to be eligible for the lottery. If you are not selected in the lottery you will remain on the waitlist. You might still get a spot in the league if players selected in the lottery drop out or do not pay on time. Players taken from the waitlist will be selected according to the order assigned in the lottery. However, in order to ensure that some new players get a chance to participate, we will limit the number of experienced players that are seletected through the lottery.
Buddy Policy. League size and number of teams is a limit of the number of women we have register each year. If a man is buddied with a woman in the registration process, then the man will be advanced through the lottery automatically and the pair will be put on the same team. See the DiscNW Buddy Policy for hat events.
Waitlist Policy. The DiscNW Wait List Policy states that DiscNW volunteers receive priority status on the waitlist. Individuals who have volunteered for DiscNW in the past year will bypass the lottery. Volunteer this year for DiscNW to improve your status in next year's Hat Leagues and other similar Waitlist limited events. Additionally, experienced players who are willing to captain a team may receive priority status at the discretion of the League Coordinators.
- Registration Closes - 3/19
- Registration Window for Lottery Closes - 3/12
- Payment Deadline for Lottery Selections - 3/15
- Captains Meeting - 3/16 6:30 - 8 pm
- Pre-Season Practices (optional) - 3/25
- Season Starts - 4/1
- Last Regular Season Game - May 20
- Playoffs - May 27 and June 3 (yes May 27 is memorial day weekend)
- Season Ends - 6/3
Note to athletic field users, friends, and families: Dogs are not allowed at organized athletic fields, beaches, or children's play areas in Seattle, Shoreline, and Redmond parks. They are welcome on leash everywhere else in the park system, and there are other off-leash areas where they can romp without leashes. Please leave Fluffy at home on game days.
Note to athletic field users, friends, and families: Alcohol is not allowed at organized athletic fields, beaches, or children's play areas in Seattle, Shoreline, and Redmond parks. Drinking beer is allowed at many fine taverns and restaurants across King County. Please leave the sprits at home on game days.
In the past we've received at least one warning per season regarding dogs and beer on the fields by various parks departments. If further infractions occur we risk losing access to the fields. Please refrain from bringing dogs and alcohol to games. Thanks!
Captaining and Mentoring
Do you enjoy teaching ultimate? Are you an experienced vet who would enjoy mentoring a new captain? Are you a cool woman with a few years (or more) of ultimate experience who wants to pass her love of the game onto the next round of newbies? Consider captaining or mentoring for Verns!
Captains can't do it all! Mentors will be expected to show up a little early to games to throw with any new players on your team. Mentors will also help answer basic questions about ultimate rules and strategy, and instill the Spirit of the Game into a new cadre of players.
Captains have 3 jobs: 1) Help teammates learn team strategy and field sense; 2) make sure everyone is having fun; 3) Send weekly game reminders and use the roster manager tool to track RSVPs. With roster manager, your job is much easier than it once was.
1. Enjoy sharing your knowledge of effective plastic chasing with people who want to know.
2. You'll get to teach a new round of people the art of heckling.
3. You will likely have a lot of say in which restaurant hungry folks flock to after games
4. People will think you know stuff.
5. By the end, you'll think you know stuff.
6. You'll have mentors to help you :)
7. The sooner you volunteer, the sooner the flow of "PLEASE CAPTAIN" emails shall cease.
8. If you're selected to captain, you're guaranteed a team to play on.
Fields in Seattle and Shoreline will be used for the league. Permits for field reservations are here.
The 11th Edition of the Rules of Ultimate will be used again for Verns.
League Specific Rules
2 timeouts per half per team – keep them short!
Games are to 15. Hard cap is at 17.
Time cap comes on at 10 minutes prior to the end of the round. Finish the point you are playing. If the game is tied play one more point. Otherwise, the team in the lead is the winner.
This is an 18+ league in accordance with the DiscNW Hat Event Particpation Policy.
Start and finish your games on time.
Footblocks are ALLOWED.
Additional league rules will be posted prior to the start of the season.