Verns Hat League (2009)
- Event Type
- Hat League
- Event Start
- Event End
Verns League is a TEACHING LEAGUE for beginners and intermediate-level players. NO EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED; just bring your enthusiasm, humor, wit, and interest in chasing plastic. It's a great way to learn ultimate, improve your skills, and meet new people.
Experienced players captain teams and pass on their knowledge and love of the game. Never captained before? No problem. Let us know you're interested and we'll pair you with a "veteran captain" to mentor you.
The season begins after we spring ahead to daylight savings time (Vernal Equinox) and runs for 10 weeks including playoffs.
Registration will open on Tuesday, February 24
The player fee is $47 and this can be paid online. To pay by check fill one out to "DiscNW" and mail it to DiscNW, Attn: Verns League, PO Box 85112, Seattle, WA 98145.
There will be a lottery for men. So, if you are a man you will initially be placed on the waitlist. Make sure to register before 3/13 to be eligible for the lottery. If you are not selected in the lottery you will remain on the waitlist. You might still get a spot in the league if players selected in the lottery drop out or do not pay on time. Players taken from the waitlist will be selected according to the order assigned in the lottery.
Note to athletic field users, friends, and families: Dogs are not allowed at organized athletic fields, beaches, or children's play areas in Seattle, Shoreline, and Redmond parks. They are welcome on leash everywhere else in the park system, and there are other off-leash areas where they can romp without leashes. Please leave Fluffy at home on game days.
Note to athletic field users, friends, and families: Alcohol is not allowed at organized athletic fields, beaches, or children's play areas in Seattle, Shoreline, and Redmond parks. Drinking beer is allowed at many fine taverns and restaurants across King County. Please leave the sprits at home on game days.
In 2008 we received at least one warning per season regarding dogs and beer on the fields by various parks departments. If further infractions occur we risk losing access to the fields. Please refrain from bringing dogs and alcohol to games. Thanks!
Do you enjoy teaching ultimate? Are you an experienced vet who would enjoy mentoring a new captain? Are you a cool woman with a few years (or more) of ultimate experience who wants to pass her love of the game onto the next round of newbies? Consider captaining or mentoring for Vern's!
Captains can't do it all! Mentors will be expected to show up a little early to games to throw with any new players on your team. Mentors will also help answer basic questions about ultimate rules and strategy, and instill the Spirit of the Game into a new cadre of players.
Captains have 3 jobs: 1) Help teammates learn team strategy and field sense; 2) make sure everyone is having fun; 3) Send weekly game reminders and use the roster manager tool to track RSVPs. With roster manager, your job is much easier than it once was.
1. Enjoy sharing your knowledge of effective plastic chasing with people who want to know.
2. You'll get to teach a new round of people the art of heckling.
3. You will likely have a lot of say in which restaurant hungry folks flock to after games
4. People will think you know stuff.
5. By the end, you'll think you know stuff.
6. You'll have mentors to help you:)
7. The sooner you volunteer, the sooner the flow of "PLEASE CAPTAIN" emails shall cease.
8. If you're selected to captain, you're guaranteed a team to play on.
Interested? Contact .
Verns league is a co-ed hat league. People sign up to play as individuals, and the coordinators make the rosters with an eye toward creating evenly matched teams.
The primary purpose of Verns league is to have fun and introduce new players to ultimate. In this league we will endeavor to help you learn the rules of Ultimate, learn what 'Spirit Of The Game' is, improve your basic skills in Ultimate, get a great workout, have fun meeting new people, and have an opportunity to participate in fun social gatherings.
- All games will be played on Friday evenings starting April 3rd (tentative date!).
- We will try to schedule one or two pre-season practices for those who wish to get a little instruction before the regular season starts. More information will be posted soon.
- Playoffs will be the last 3 Fridays of the season. The finals are tentatively scheduled for June 5.
- We are trying to schedule all the games on synthetic turf .
Online registration will be open until March 17th. The player fee is $47 and this can be paid online. People who register following March 17th will be placed on a wait list and assigned to teams as there is space. This applies primarily to Women.
There will be a lottery for men. So, if you are a man you will initially be placed on the waitlist. Make sure to register by March 13th to be eligible for the lottery. If you are not selected in the lottery you will remain on the waitlist. You might still get a spot in the league if players selected in the lottery drop out or do not pay on time. Players taken from the waitlist will be selected in the order assigned by the lottery.
- Registration Closes - 3/30/09
- Registration Window for Lottery Closes - 3/13/09
- Payment Deadline for Lottery Selections -3/23/09
- Payment Deadline for post-Lottery men - TBD
- Captains Meeting - 3/25/09
- Pre-Season Practices (optional) - 3/27/09 7pm at Shoreline A
- Season Starts - 4/3/09
- Regular Season Ends - mid May
- Playoffs - late May and early June
The 11th Edition of the Rules of Ultimate will be used again for Verns.
League Specific Rules
2 timeouts per half per team – keep them short!
Games are to 15. Hard cap is at 17.
Time cap comes on at 10 minutes prior to the end of the round. Finish the point you are playing. If the game is tied play one more point. Otherwise, the team in the lead is the winner.
Start and finish your games on time.
Footblocks are not allowed.
Additional league rules will be posted prior to the start of the season.