Masters' Hat League (2017)
- Event Type
- Hat League
- Event Start
- Event End
- Seattle, WA
It’s summer — time for The Best Ultimate League in the country, DiscNW’s Master’s League. For men and women players over 30, this league continues to be a favorite among veteran players & newcomers alike, distinguished by mellow, gender-friendly and fun play. Best. Ultimate. Ever.
May 22, 2017 -- Registration is filling up fast. As of today, there are 28 registration openings (45 when including the unpaid registrations). Team/pod captains should finish their recruiting and get all of their players signed up before the league is filled.
May 29th - There are 12 open slots remaining (plus 17 unpaid registrations), for a total of 29. Once we reach our cap, all unpaid registrations will automatically revert to wait list, even if you have stated a specific team/pod preference. FYI, could use more "free agent" players.
May 30th - Four open slots remaining. "He who hesitates is lost"
June 2nd - REGISTRATIONS FOR LEAGUE-START CLOSES 12 NOON TODAY
June 29th - Registration for half-season (starting July 10th) now open, all new registrants will be assigned as free agents.
Important change in format - read this page for more details
- All games will be played on Monday evenings at 6:30pm
- The season starts on Monday, June 5th and concludes on Monday, July 24th
- There will probably not be regular-season play on July 3rd (the Monday of 4th of July weekend - though, we observe our traditional "Bring A Ringer Day" then, details coming soon...)
- FOR THE FIRST TIME, you may register onto a team or a pod. See below for details about this format.
- Players over 30 may register for the league
- Women play in the league, but unlike regular co-ed leagues, there is no gender ratio enforced. We normally average a 5/2 gender ratio.
2017 Color Scheme
Players bring a white and dark shirt to the games. Depending on your field assignment for that week, please bring the following jersey color (don't ever bring grey please - it's confusing). Also be considerate of your team-mate pod-mate, and bring an extra
- Field 3A - Black/Purple
- Field 3B - Green/Hawaiian
- Field 4A - Blue
- Field 4B - Red/Orange/Pink
All regular-season games will be played in Seattle, almost all on the grass Sports Meadow at Magnuson Park in Seattle - which will have painted ultimate field lines for the summer season. Seattle fields permit.
Online registration opens April 12th. The registration fee is $66.06 (this registration fee reflects an increase in the base fee [to help offset rising insurance costs] as well as an increase in sales tax.). Payment must be made online or by mailing a check to DiscNW, Attn: Masters Hat, PO Box 85112, Seattle, WA 98145 within 7 days. After seven days, any unpaid registration is placed onto the wait-list. The league accepts the first 160 paid registrations. The payment deadline is May 30th, 2017.
MIXED TEAM & POD Format
In the past we've organized this league using "pods", where players were placed onto "half-teams" of 8-10 players; each week pods would pair against other pods. Pods give everyone the chance to play with everyone in the league. But some players prefer a normal "team" approach, where there's the change to build week-to-week continuity. This year, players register into one of three categories:
- Team - assigned to group of ~15 players for the entire season; team registrants commit to making 70% of the scheduled games;
- Pod - player placed onto a "half-team" of 8-10 players for the entire season; pod registrants commit to making at least half of the scheduled games;
- Free Agent Pool - everyone else. Free agent players aren't assigned to any group; on game day, they get "drafted" to the groups who need players for that day.
We try to balance teams/pods by talent, experience, gender and expected attendance.
Games - Two pods will combine to form one team for a game. The schedule mixes games of team-v-team; team-v-pods; and pods-v-pods.
Buddies - Friends are encouraged to register together for the league. If you want to play together as a team or pod, please name the team/pod captain as your "Buddy" when you register. Team captains are tasked with ensuring they have adequate numbers for each week. Players that don't list a buddy are assigned by the league. The league will consist of 4 teams and 8 pods.
Players accepted into the league after close of registration are designated into the Free Agent pool - they play where needed (to fill pod shortages on a week-by-week basis.) Being a free-agent is a great way to play with virtually everyone in the league.