Spring Reign (2013)
- Event Type
- Team Tournament
- Event Start
- Event End
- Burlington, WA
Tentative dates for Spring Reign 2014: April 26-27
Congratulations to the following tournament champions and spirit winners! All tournament brackets have been updated with scores that were reported. If you know the result of a game that is missing a score, please email , and we will update it for perpetuity.
|Elementary School Spirit||Jane Addams K-8 School|
|Elementary School Champion||Bryant Elementary School|
|Middle School A Spirit||Eckstein Middle School|
|Middle School A Champion||Asa Mercer Middle School|
|Middle School B Spirit||St. John's Ravenscourt School|
|Middle School B Champion||Salmon Bay School|
|Middle School C Spirit||Roosevelt Middle School|
|Middle School C Champion||University Preparatory School|
|High School A Spirit||Garfield High School|
|High School A Champion||Northwest School|
|High School B Spirit||Nathan Hale High School|
|High School B Champion||Charles Wright Academy|
|High School C Spirit||Aviation High School|
|High School C Champion||Bainbridge Island High School
If you are a champion or Spirit winning team that missed the awards ceremony and did not receive its prize, please contact DiscNW Operations Manager Rusty Brown at to retrieve it.
Download the 2013 Spring Reign Program (.pdf)
Spring Reign is the largest coed youth ultimate tournament in the world, with age divisions for elementary school (grades 3-5), middle school (grades 6-8), and high school (grades 9-12) teams. The tournament hosts school-based teams hailing from Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Montana, California, British Columbia, Manitoba, and beyond, showcasing some of the best youth ultimate in the world!
We encourage you to follow us on Twitter!
Middle & High School:April 27-28, 2013.
Elementary School:Saturday, April 27, 2013.
Skagit River Park in Burlington, WA.
Middle & High School: Multiple pools to accommodate various skill levels, ranging from novice to very experienced.
Elementary School: Intermediate to experienced teams.
|Number of Games
Middle & High School: 5-6 games.
Elementary School: 3 games.
Spring Reign is a very popular tournament. As a result, we cannot accept every team that wants to attend. The goals of our registration process are transparency and implementing a fair method for determining which teams are accepted.
Each team must complete an online registration no later than March 15. All teams will initially be placed on the waitlist, and all registrations will be listed on the event web page. Please be patient; we add teams manually, so you may not see your team right away if you register during non-business hours. It is up to each school to make sure that a registration is completed for its team(s). The Tournament Directors will select teams to be accepted into the tournament based on the selection criteria below.
- Teams that are accepted will be notified via email on March 20. Accepted teams must confirm their attendance and submit payment no later than March 27.
- Any spots not accepted will be offered to teams on the waitlist on March 28.
- Paperwork is due on April 10. Teams not submitting paperwork by this date will not be included in the tournament schedule.
- Final schedules will be posted on the website on April 17.
- Note: The Tournament Directors can make exceptions to this timeline and process in special cases. Please contact if you have any questions.
The Tournament Directors will consider all of the following criteria when assigning bids for the tournament. Teams that meet more of these criteria will be more likely to receive a bid.
- Distance Traveled. Traveling teams who do not participate regularly in DiscNW leagues will be given priority in order to promote diversity at the tournament.
- Service to the Sport. Teams with a demonstrated history of promoting the sport of ultimate will be given priority. This is especially important for local teams that do not meet the "Distance Traveled" criterion. Local teams who provide volunteers for the tournament and/or contribute positively to the Seattle ultimate community will be given priority.
- Team Experience. Schools attending Spring Reign for the first time and teams who did not participate in last year's tournament will be given priority.
- Team Spirit. We recommend reviewing the Spring Reign Spirit of the Game customs and processes. Tournament staff considers Spirit rankings from last year's Spring Reign, DiscNW staff and volunteer observations from the last year, any recent and applicable reports from opponents, and the team's registration essay. Teams who have struggled with Spirit in the last year should describe a concrete plan for improving their team culture, including examples of improvement, if available.
- Team Maturity/Organization. This includes factors such as meeting deadlines, cooperating and communicating clearly with DiscNW staff/volunteers, and having a responsible and actively involved adult coach or chaperon.
- Opportunities to Play. Preference will be given to teams who otherwise have few opportunities to compete against appropriate opponents.
- Number of School Teams. Generally, a school's first team has a greater chance of getting a bid than another school's second (third, fourth, fifth, sixth) team. However, the criteria above are considered more strongly than this criterion.
|January 4||Registration opens.|
|March 15||Registration closes.
Financial aid applications due.
Applications for Eligibility Review due (for teams requesting to include players from more than one school or players who are not in the grades outlined by their division of play).
||Teams notified of acceptance or waitlist status.
||Payment & bid confirmation deadline for accepted teams.|
||Waitlisted teams notified of updates to registration status.
|April 17||Schedules posted.
|April 26||Check-in for teams staying in Burlington (time/location TBA). Teams not staying in Burlington must check in on Saturday morning.|
|April 27-28||Spring Reign tournament weekend!|
- Payment for accepted teams is due on March 27.
- Financial aid applications are due on March 15. For this event, financial aid will be awarded when teams are notified of their bid status on March 20.
- Online payment by credit card will be permitted between March 20-27 for middle and high school teams that have been accepted to the tournament. Elementary school teams must pay by check since our website is not capable of handling multiple fee levels within a single event.
- Teams that wish to submit payment prior to March 20 may mail a check payable to DiscNW. If the team's bid is not accepted, the check will destroyed or returned. If the team's bid is accepted, the check will be cashed when the team confirms the bid.
- Payments must be made in US dollars.
- Checks should be mailed to DiscNW at PO Box 85112, Seattle, WA 98145. Label the check with your team name, division, and "Spring Reign."
|Middle and High School||$390. Payment online or by check.|
|Elementary School||$220. Payment by check only.|
The application is quite involved, so we recommend reviewing the selection criteria, collecting information for all coaches/chaperons (e.g., name, age, and contact info), and generally knowing the composition of your team (e.g, grades, number of each gender, and experience) before registering. Don't worry; as long as you meet the March 15 registration deadline, the timing of your application will not affect your likelihood of being accepted to the tournament. In fact, a lack of thorough information on the application would be more likely to diminish your chances of acceptance.
When online registration is open, a "Register Now" link will be visible directly below this sentence.