Summer Youth Club Coach Application (2013)
- Event Type
- Hat League
- Event Start
- Event End
DiscNW is seeking coaches for the following summer youth club play:
- U19 Youth Club League
- U19 Youth Club Championship traveling teams
- U16 Youth Club League
Here are the general details:
- The youth club coach positions are temporary, part-time positions beginning on May 16, 2013 and concluding on or before August 16.
- Within the U16 and U19 divisions, there will be tiers ranging from recreational to elite play.
- Coaching occurs primarily on Monday-Thursday evenings, in the hours of 4-9pm, with a couple occasional Sundays.
- Games/practices are usually one time per week, occasionally twice per week, for 4-8 games total.
Click on "Register Now" above or below to apply for any or all of these positions, which are described in detail below. Applications are due May 12 for U19 positions and May 18 for U16 positions.
Overview of Summer Youth Club Play
Summer youth club play in 2013 will consist of two mixed gender leagues: a U19 club league, and a U16 club league. Within each of these two leages, there will be 2-3 tiers of play:
- Premier Tier. This will be a four-team tier consisting of the top players within the age division. For the U19 division, the four Premier Tier teams will be comprised solely of players who have been selected for DiscNW's three U19 Youth Club Championship teams (mixed, open, and girls). In the U16 division, the Premier Tier will be made up of both players who are and players who are not participating on the parent-organized U16 YCC team from Seattle.
- Select Tier. This 4-6 team tier will be comprised of the next round of players with intermediate to advanced ultimate skills.
- Recreational Tier. If registrations permit, this tier will be made up of 4 or more teams of players with beginning to intermediate ultimate skills. If registrations are too low to support a full, 4-team recreational tier, DiscNW will provide regular practices and scrimmages for the players in this tier so that they can improve their skills over the summer.
All players wishing to participate in club play this summer will attend tryouts, where coaches will evaluate their skills and determine their placement within the tier system.
While DiscNW is not coordinating the U16 YCC team from Seattle, the coaches and coordinators of the U16 YCC team will use the U16 club league tryouts to evaluate players for the YCC team as well.
Available Coaching Positions
DiscNW will hire 18-26 youth club coaches this summer:
|U19 Premier Tier Head Coaches||3||There will be one head coach for each of the three DiscNW U19 YCC Teams (mixed, girls', and open). Premier Tier Head Coaches will work together with the Assistants to coach the 4 U19 Premier Tier league teams. They will also coach their assigned YCC team at practices and at the YCC tournament on August 10-11.|
|U19 Premier Tier Assistant Coaches||3||There will be one assistant coach for each of the three DiscNW U19 YCC Teams (mixed, girls', and open). Premier Tier Assistant Coaches will work together with the Head Coaches to coach the 4 U19 Premier Tier league teams. They will also coach their assigned YCC team at practices and at the YCC tournament on August 10-11.|
|U16 Premier Tier Coaches||4||These coaches will be assigned to one U16 Premier Tier team each and will coach a practice or game one time weekly throughout the summer.|
|U19 & U16 Select Tier Coaches||4-8||These coaches will be assigned to one Select Tier team each and will coach a practice or game one time weekly throughout the summer.|
|U19 & U16 Recreational Tier Coaches||4-8||If registrations permit, these coaches will be assigned to one Recreational Tier team each and will coach a practice or game one time weekly throughout the summer. If registrations are low, they will work with other Recreational Tier coaches to run weekly clinics for the whole group of players.|
Summer Club Coach Responsibilities
Duties for all Summer Club Coaches
- Attending all tryout sessions for the appropriate age division.
- Working with the other coaches immediately after tryouts to assign players to tiers of play (YCC Tier, Select Tier, and Recreational Tier) and to teams within those tiers.
- Managing on-field team logistics, including the following:
- Planning practice formats and leading all practices.
- Developing team game strategy.
- Administering appropriate player discipline.
Additional Duties for U19 Premier Tier Coaches
- Traveling with and chaperoning the teams for the USA Ultimate YCC tournament in Blaine, MN on August 8-11 (coaches must be available to travel both directions with the team, on the same flights, and to stay in the same lodging as their team during the event).
- Coordinating any supplemental, pre-YCC competition(s) (e.g., scrimmages or tournaments) and coaching the team at those events.
- Providing a report of the YCC process, from application as a coach to returning home from the tournament, outlining strengths and areas for improvement.
Skills, Attributes, and Certifications
Required for All Club Coaches:
- Coaching experience and ultimate knowledge appropriate to the tier for which the coach is applying:
- Recreational Tier: General sport coaching experience (preferably age-appropriate) and comprehensive knowledge of fundamental ultimate skills and strategies.
- Select Tier: Ultimate coaching experience (preferably age-appropriate), comprehensive knowledge of fundamental ultimate skills and strategies, and basic knowledge of advanced ultimate skills and strategies.
- Premier Tier: High school or college level ultimate coaching experience and comprehensive knowledge of both fundamental and advanced ultimate skills and strategies.
- U16 coaches must be at least 19 years of age.
- U19 Head Coaches for all tiers must be at least 21 years of age. Since U19 Premier Tier Assistant Coaches would be working under a Head Coach, we will consider assistants as young as 19.
- Satisfactory background check by the National Center for Safety Initiatives.
Required for U19 Premier Tier Coaches:
- USA Ultimate Level I Coaching Certification (must be completed before the August 10-11 YCC tournament)
- USA Ultimate requires that each team participating in the YCC have at least two chaperones who are 25 years or older, so age will be an important factor in the application process. Younger coaches will be considered only if DiscNW is able to make alternative arrangements for team chaperones.
Preferred for all Club Coaches:
- Ultimate playing experience commensurate with the level that will be coached.
- This is a USA Ultimate sanctioned league, and USAU requires that each team have a chaperon who is at least 21 years of age. While we will accept applications from coaches as young as 19 for the U16 division (and will find a separate chaperon for their team, in the event they are hired), coaches of at least 21 years of age are preferred.
|Sunday, May 12||U19 Club Coach Applications Due|
|Wednesday, May 15 or earlier||U19 Coaches Announced (except Premier Tier Assistants, which may be delayed)|
|Thursday-Sunday, May 16-19||U19 Coaches' Training/Meeting
Coaches and DiscNW Youth Director will select a mutually agreeable date for planning tryouts and discussing summer roles/logistics.
|Saturday, May 18||
|Sunday, May 19||U19 Summer Club Tryouts
10am-4:30pm, Magnuson Sports Meadow
|Monday, May 20||Girls’ State Championship Game, Interbay Stadium, 7:30pm (U19 Girls' Coaches Should Attend to Scout)|
|Wednesday, May 22 or earlier||U16 Coaches Announced|
|Week of May 20 or 27||U16 Coaches' Training/Meeting
Coaches, U16 YCC Organizers, and DiscNW Youth Director will select a mutually agreeable date for planning tryouts and discussing summer roles/logistics.
|Weekday TBD, May 21 through June 5||Tentative Second U19 Tryout|
|Thursday, May 30||U16 Summer Club Tryouts
|Sunday, June 2||U16 Summer Club Tryouts
|Week of June 3||(Or Earlier)U19 Players Assigned to Tiers
U19 League Begins
|Tuesday, June 4||U16 Summer Club Tryouts
|Saturday, June 8 or earlier||U16 Players Assigned to Tiers by Coaches|
|Week of June 10||U16 League Begins|
|Week of July 8 or July 15||U19 League Ends|
|Week of July 22 or 29||U16 League Ends|
|Saturday & Sunday, August 10-11
(Travel August 8-12)
|Youth Club Championship Tournament
U19 Premier Tier Coaches Only
|Saturday, August 31||Post-Season Report Due from U19 Premier Tier Coaches|
All U16 Coaches and U19 Select & Recreational Coaches
- $69-$113 for tryouts (depending on U16 or U19 division and whether or not you are asked to help at additional tryout sessions)
- $25/session coached (4-8 sessions total)
U19 Premier Coaches
- $1,100 for head coaches, $600 for assistants.
- All YCC tournament travel expenses, including a per diem for food and incidentals during the tournament.
Club Coaches for all tiers of play will be selected by the DiscNW Youth Club Task Force. Once head coaches for the U19 Premier Tier are hired, they will provide input for the hiring of assistant coaches for the Premier Tier.
Click here to apply. U19 applications are due by May 12 and U16 by May 18.