- Event Type
- Team Tournament
- Event Start
- Event End
- Redmond, WA
- February 1: Bid window opens
- February 24: Bid window closes for international teams*
- March 1: International bids awarded*
- April 30: Bid window closes, registration essay due
- May 15: Bids awarded
- May 30: Final payment due, all checks are deposited.
* A limited number of bids will be reserved for teams traveling from outside of North America. In order to be eligible for one of these bids, teams must submit all of their registration materials, including a deposit check, by February 24. Teams from outside of North America who do not submit their bid materials prior to the February 24 deadline will be eligible for a bid within the later bid window timeline.
There are four steps that must be completed in order to register for Potlatch 2014:
- Fill out the online registration
- Mail deposit check to DiscNW
- Email registration essay to TDs
- The team roster must be completed
All teams must complete the online registration form prior to the bid deadline. Incomplete online bids (for example, bids that do not have a valid roster) will not be considered. Teams no longer need to mail a printout of the registration form. Some updates to the online registration form will be allowed after the deadline, but teams should note that bids will be awarded based on the information submitted prior to the deadline. All roster changes must be completed using the online registration form.
For 2014, the participation fee is $87.60 USD (includes sales tax†) per player. The fee for non-playing team members (injured players, coaches, babysitters, etc.) is $25.00 USD (includes sales tax). A deposit of $525.00 USD is due by the bid deadline (April 30). Teams that do not submit their deposit on time will not be considered. Checks are to be made payable to DiscNW and must include the team name on the memo line. The mailing address for these checks is DiscNW, Attn: Potlatch, PO Box 85112, Seattle, WA 98145.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not send in any envelopes requiring a signature. Our PO Box is very secure, and your mail will not get lost or stolen. Requiring a signature only forces the TD to stand in a long line at the counter.
Teams that are accepted to Potlatch 2014 will be notified on May 15. At that time, those teams will be required to submit payment for the balance due for their roster. Any teams that do not submit a final payment, which must be received by May 30, will be moved to the wait list.
Teams may make roster changes after the April 30 bid deadline, and changes after the May 30 payment deadline are okay, too. Any roster changes, and corresponding fees, will be processed at registration on the morning of July 4 at Event Central.
Potlatch players must be 18 or over. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
† The State of Washington issued a ruling in 2011 that requires sports organizations like DiscNW to collect sales tax on fees for events. DiscNW has begun to collect these taxes in order to comply with the state. Please send any questions about sales tax to email@example.com.
‡ International teams will be notified on March 1 of their status. Payment deadlines for accepted international teams will be communicated to team captains at that time.
In the past we have greatly enjoyed all of the cool dioramas, story books, team jerseys, sunglasses, hats, liquid refreshments, lunch boxes filled with snacks, paper mache Muppets, paintings, mix tapes, slideshows, videos, and other fun presents that teams have bestowed upon the Tournament Directors as part of their bids. Starting this year, however, we request that teams focus their energies on the new bid requirement (see next paragraph).
Well, okay, we do really like looking at the videos that teams make. Making one of those is okay, but it will not substitute for the important part: the essay.
Teams will be required to submit an essay that describes what members of the team do in their local community to promote the sport of ultimate. We want to know if there are there any youth coaches, Tournament Directors, League Coordinators, Board Members, or other kinds of ultimate volunteers on the roster. If your team participates regularly in a league, letters of support from the local organization will be viewed very favorably.
We also want to know what teams will do at Potlatch to help to create a safe and fun environment for everyone.
We would also like to read about your ideas for the gift exchange and your plans for your post-game cheers. Please tell us about how you will celebrate the spirit of giving with the Potlatch community.
There is no minimum or maximum length for the essay. The completed essay should be emailed to the Tournament Directors at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30.
As you may have noticed, we have changed our webiste! We are still working on adding some color and pictures, so don't be surprised if the site looks different the next time you visit.
We are now using a new registration system, and captains must complete their rosters by adding player names and email addresses. To set your roster, please follow the instructions below. Please note that only a coach or captain can set the team roster. Before setting your roster, please collect an e-mail address from each teammate, where they can be reached to sign the required waivers once bids have been announced.
- Login to your DiscNW account
- Go to your team's page. If you are not sure how to do this, click your name in the upper right corner, select "Your Profile" from the drop-down menu, and select the team you have registered for Potlatch under the "Recent Teams" tab.
- Click the "Roster" tab under the team information.
- Click the blue pencil icon on the far right of the Roster tab to edit the team roster.
- On the right, find the section titled "Add Player." One at a time, add each player from your team to your roster, including their gender, full name, and e-mail address.
- If you have previously completed an online roster for a DiscNW event, you can use the "Copy Players from Another Roster" tool to speed up this process.
Please remember that Potlatch is 4/3, 3/4 gender ration for 3 full days. We require at least 6 women per team.
Additionally, all players will be required to complete an online waiver in order to participate in Potlatch 2014. More details about that requirement will be posted after bids have been awarded.
Notes about Geographic Representation at Potlatch
In year's past the tournament has had roughly the following geographic break-down:
1/3 of the teams are from the Greater Seattle Area. This is necessary to handle the many tasks associated with the tournament (picking up bagels, going to Costco, part clean-up, field set-up, etc.). As the tournament has gotten larger, we have required more help. This 1/3 ratio has helped us maintain the quality of Potlatch.
1/3 of the teams are from the non-Seattle Northwest. Because of our proximity to cities such as Portland, Vancouver BC, and San Francisco, we get a lot of interest from the greater Northwest. DiscNW is, after all, the Northwest Ultimate Association.
1/3 of the teams are from outside the Northwest. It is important that the tournament show a good stratum of the International ultimate scene. For this reason, much emphasis is given to teams outside the Greater Northwest.
If you have more questions on the bid selection process, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.