DiscNW Board Meeting Notes, May 19, 2003

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m.

Present were Mike Keran, Executive Director; President Anne-Marie Wissman; Vice-President, Josh Monaghan; Treasurer Jessica Dorr; Secretary Jim O'Donnell; Ray Birks; Colleen O'Rollins; Ian Ferguson; Chris Burke. Absent was Ryan Seguine.

  1. The April Board Minutes were ratified by unanimous vote.
  2. Executive Director report:
    (A). Leagues: Spring youth leagues are done. SeaGUL was dropped for this year due to lack of organizer time and reduced demand due to Deluge practicing. Summer league sign-ups start this week. We have fields to expand corporate league to 16 teams. New hat league sign-ups scripts with our new on-line payment processing will be in place. Some Tri-Cities folks want to run a league with DNW and we are working on that. Chris Burke added that 56 teams are expected for the three summer leagues combined (hat, team and corp) and most games will be at Shoreline. The ED will put a timeline for all leagues onto the DNW website.
    (B). Tournaments: Potlatch has a new party location; Port-a-Field deal for 32 reusable fields is done. Spring Reign MS had 27 Middle School teams and was a great success, with $2,449 of merchandise sales as well. The Spring Reign High School division will be May 31/June 1 in Burlington.
    (C). Sign-ups are underway for Riot's annual clinic for women players.
    (D). Financial: total cash assets of $83,499.86 are up 48% from last year (an approximate $12,000 field expense to be paid accounts for part of the difference). Jessica will research alternative ways to maximize benefits from DNW's cash reserves.
    (E) Deluge, the high school girls teams, made it to the National semi-finals after a great fundraising effort to help them pay for the trip to Alabama.
    (F) King County Parks and Recreation Levy vote is tomorrow.
  3. 2004 UPA College Championships. The UPA has awarded this tourney to DNW! We will need tons of volunteers for this huge event for late May, 2004, especially in fields, hotel, party, sponsorship, media relations, and volunteer coordination.
  4. New Tourney: We have five fields at Shoreline for August 9 and 10 for a tournament, which would be entries by 24 "half" teams that are then combined into 12 full teams.
  5. Clinic: Sockeye/Riot to run an Ultimate clinic. Dates and location tbd with Chris Burke.
  6. Strategic Plan: The Administration group presented an update. The Communications Committee presented several preliminary goal ideas. The ED will give them a sample past press release The Participation/Membership group presented first membership goal ideas.
  7. Leadership Series: Josh Monaghan's Leadership Series received a UPA $250 innovation grant!

The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00 p.m.


"Our mission as a non-profit organization is to promote and support growth in the Sport of Ultimate, while instilling the Spirit of Sportsmanship at all levels of play."

Northwest Ultimate Association
P.O. Box 85112
Seattle WA, 98145-1112