DiscNW logo DiscNW Board Meeting Minutes

DiscNW Board Meeting Minutes: June 20, 2005

  • Meeting Start: 7:48
  • Attendees: Jessica, Chris Burke, Mike Mullen, Barney, Janna, William (note: Eric Mattson resigned last week, so 5 members make a quorum only 9 total members now)
  • Chris offers to host next 2 or 3 meetings.
  • William gave the ED Report.
    • Barney stressed that the lack of progress by the web team needs attention. William to increase efforts here.
    • Janna suggested creating a list of volunteers for appreciation and better visibility.
    • Chris is no longer all leagues coordinator; he suggested having a LCs meeting.
    • Chris starts his role as the new Treasurer.
  • Potlatch update by Janna
    • We need to pick a date for next year to make sure that we get the Pickering Barn.
    • Dave is back as fields guy at 60 Acres. This is good for DiscNW; we have a good relationship with him.
    • There is a wireless connection available at field.
    • There is a trailer on site for event use.
    • DiscNW will purchase more porta-fields at a good cost.
    • DiscNW will also buy 300+ new cones.
  • William gave a report on the priorities of Club and League ultimate.
    • League ultimate is very important fiscally to DiscNW.
    • Club ultimate is very important to promoting the sport.
    • Both have a big need for fields. The idea of creating a new method for field rentals is discussed.
    • Finding practice fields should be combined with the acquisition of league fields for ease.
    • Chris discussed the risks of reserving fields ahead of time and suggested having teams make a deposit for assigned practice fields.
    • Barney suggested a conservative approach.
    • Mike suggested that un-assigned practice fields can be used for other events (tournaments in am with pm club practice).
    • William discussed the administrative burden of such a practice and offered to create a proposal outlining policies, plans, risks, and benefits.
  • William requested guidance regarding DiscNW merchandise sales
    • There is a discussion of the relationship with Gaia and Potlatch.
    • The Board indicated that there should be no ads on the DiscNW website.
    • Special offers from vendors are okay to include in emails.
    • William to create proposals for any merchandise issues (including Potlatch)
  • Discussion of new Board Member recruitment
    • There was general consensus that weve stalled out on the process.
    • Janna indicated that itd be nice to have a document to describe what a board member does.
    • Janna will work to contact the Microsoft players to get them involved with DiscNW.
    • Barney stressed that time, interest, and ability to participate are most important qualifications.
    • Mike discussed the specific tasks of incoming board members. We should address the gaps in current board member competencies.
    • Jessica pointed out that we are 5 weeks out from the next board meeting and proposed the following timeline: 1 week to post info on the website. 3 weeks to recruit. 1 week to evaluate before July meeting. New members to start in August.
    • Mike offered that we should change our policy so that if a Board Member exits early (at some time in the middle of the year) that we engage a search process outside of regular annual process.
    • Jessica will write up the official job description and timeline for the search process.
  • Motion to adjourn made by Jessica and seconded by Mike. Motion carried at 9:37 pm.


"Our mission as a non-profit organization is to promote and support growth in the Sport of Ultimate, while instilling the Spirit of Sportsmanship at all levels of play."

Northwest Ultimate Association
P.O. Box 85112
Seattle WA, 98145-1112