DiscNW Board Meeting Minutes
Meeting minutes from the 18 April, 2005 DiscNW Board meeting
Meeting opened at 7:23pm
Attending: JimmyO, MikeM, Janna, Barney, MikeK, Dave. Late: William. Absent: Barbara (on leave), Eric, Jessica, Chris. Guest: Matt 'Skip' Sewell
Previous meeting's minutes were read and approved.
- 86 bids so far
- Walking the fields tomorrow.
- Showers and party location are finalized.
- The Board has requested team locations (ie: where they are from) to be posted on the website.
- Bid window closes on the 21st with probable extension
- Shaykut joining the team as co-TD in training (yea!)
Update on summer youth camps:
- City council voted to accept the watered down version of height-pole variance.
- Agreed to create voting rating for various council members using this issue as a yardstick.
Motion to approve the following: a waiver of conflict of interest of MikeM's participation as a paid contractor, partnering with Seattle Youth Summer Camps. Jimmy so moves, MikeK seconds, approved unanimously, MikeM abstains.
Motion to approve the following: that a minimum per-session enrollment level be set to insure the camp's financial solvency and minimize DiscNW financial risk. MikeK so moves, Jimmy seconds, approved unanimously, MikeM abstains.
- Roger, William and MikeM met re: camps. (No longer doing a partnership with Seattle Parks).
- DiscNW will be handling all money, stipends to volunteer help, and salary to Roger and MikeM as contractors. ADP will handle payroll and tax witholdings.
- MikeM and Roger: $20/hour for each hour they are teaching. Total of about $4k max if they are at all the camps for all the hours (this is our maxmimum coach's salary outlay). First $4k profit from the camps goes to MikeM and Roger ($2k each). Budgeted 10% DiscNW overhead fee.
- Coaches will be paid on sliding scale based on experience on a stipend basis ($300 for adults for half-day session, half that for student coaches).
- Aiming to keep all other's stipends less than $1000.
- Approx 10 -12 kids needed in a given session to break even.
- Fields reservation has started. Many in Shoreline, Seattle has not yet gotten back to us.
- Half League coords in place plus some new candidates.
- Registration planned to be opened 4 - 6 weeks before the first game (early - mid May).
- League starts 20 June - 22 Aug.
High profile event applications:
- Selected Ben Wiggens and Miranda Roth as head coaches for the team.
- Reserving fields for tryouts and practices. They are picking assistant coaches.
- Once they have the fields, DiscNW will be minimally invovled.
- Expecting a year-long committment.
- Hoping to keep interest going into a fall hat league where coaches/organizers could recieve a stipend.
New board members: The board prioritized skills it is looking for when recruiting new members.
ED report was distributed online following the meeting. See attached.
The final 2005 budget was distributed online following the meeting to allow all board members to vote. Chris moves to approve the budget, Jimmy seconds. Approved: 8 - 0. Barbara (on leave) abstains.
- Do we want to continue trying to host these events in Seattle, is it a good use of our time and money?
- Also, how much support to we give our elite level teams.
- Suggested we come up with a position paper to outline the pluses and minuses of hosting these tourneys.
- Field advocacy committee: grading of council members
- William: to write a one paragraph description of the conflict of interest issue with MikeM.
- William: to write a position paper on high-profile events.