DiscNW logo DiscNW Board Meeting Minutes

DiscNW Board Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the 12 March, 2005 DiscNW Board meeting.

  • Meeting opened at 7:20pm.
  • Attending: Mike K., Barney, Jessica, William, MikeM., Jimmy, Dave, Janna, Eric. Late: Chris. Absent: Barbara. Guest speaker Loren Hill
  • Last month's minutes were distributed online and approved unanimously.
  • Board discussed the Employee Attendance policy. MikeK moved to approve, Jimmy seconds, approved unanimously.
  • Loren Hill updated the Board on recent field advocacy:
    • Meadow planting postponed until Fall '05 due to potential drought. 180 growing days minimum before opening to usage.
    • Deadline 5pm tomorrow for public comment re: height variance to city council. Public comment in person on Wed at 2pm.
    • FAF stuff:
      • School fees: $95/field-hour rate has only been reduced for adult baseball (reduced to $55/field-hour). This decision did not go through School Board.
      • Four Council seats and the Mayor are up for election this fall. Plans to do candidate interviews for active rec. similar to last year
      • State bill 2241: Soccer fields on Ag land.
    • Starbucks is giving grants to renovate fields (emphasis on youth, etc.).
    • Loyal Heights: ongoing public meetings regarding renovation and possible FieldTurf at that location (it is already lit).
    • Possible open field space in the South Lake Union park space.
    • Advocacy needs:
      • Advocacy email list.
      • Keep the public involved -- we had great turnout last spring in support of SP/Mag.
      • Maintain higher "regular" stuff regarding advocacy.
      • Create relationships with existing council members.
  • ED Report was presented via email to Board members:
    • Finances
      • Checking Account balance: $21,739.42
      • Business Premium Account balance: $60, 613.19
      • Charles Schwab Savings Account balance: $10,706.47
      • FY 2005 Budget is completed, and is pending approval from the Board.
    • ED Transition
      • Acquired online access to Wells Fargo account.
      • Got access to storage locker.
      • Learned how to reconcile accounts on Quick Books.
    • Web Team
      • Attended presentation with Trumba to view their software systems.
      • Clarified expectations with Manzell, web team lead.
    • Leagues
      • Spring team leagues (adult, high school, and middle school) are underway and running well.
      • Registration for Verns League has started and league organizers on task.
      • 160 Men accepted in league (22 more on waitlist)
      • 57 Women in league need to recruit more ladies!
      • Playoff fields have been reserved for all leagues.
      • Working with Mike Garvey to provide insurance for summer league in Spokane, WA
    • Tournaments
      • Slog in the Bog completed successfully with 10 teams participating
      • Website for WA HS States is completed; registration will open this week.
      • HS Spring Reign planning in full swing for 4/2-4/3 tourney.
      • Working with Matt Krogh to reserve fields in Burlington for Gnarly Gnines (4/30)
      • Searching for new TDs for Everett Hat Tourney for late spring/summer 2005
    • Youth Ultimate
      • A Youth Club Program Proposal was drafted by the Youth Committee and was approved by Board.
      • Application process completed; only 2 applications received
      • Dave Dreher gave a presentation in Portland at the AAHPERD to promote the sport to PE teachers on March 18.
      • Fields have been reserved for the summer camp schedule for 2005.
      • Working with Riot to promote scholarship for NUTC to Seattle area high school player.
    • Fields
      • Letter sent to City Council members requesting approval of pole height plan for Sand Point fields.
      • Working with Sockeye, Riot, Moxie, and Viva to find practice fields.
      • Updated content on advocacy pages on the web site.
    • Clinics
      • Reworked plan for spring instructional clinics
      • Potential coaches were contacted
      • Requests for fields were made
      • Its not looking good right now not many fields & not many coaches
      • Might only have 2 dates for this spring.
    • Plans for next month:
      • Host HS Spring Reign
      • Complete selection of Youth Club Coach
      • Complete details for Seattle Youth Ultimate Camps for summer 2005
      • Work with web team to complete projects by deadline
      • Continue looking for fields for summer leagues
      • Host very limited offerings of spring clinics
      • Attend Quick Books seminar
      • Investigate cheaper alternatives to ADP for payroll services
  • Potlatch update (EricM and Janna):
    • It's 104 days away!
    • Website will launch on 1 April and bid window opens same day.
    • Advertising to last year's captains along with usual postings to rec.sport.disc and local email list
    • Fields and party location are set.
    • Hoping for 100 teams @ $675/team.
    • Traffic revision at 60 Acres makes for a slightly longer commute.
  • Discussion of the Lobbying and Endorsement policy: Suggested adding wording to track various lobbying costs (ED's time, materials, etc.) to the policy. Need to determine how much of our web hosting costs can be figured as a lobbying expense.
    • Jimmy moves to approve 501(h) election. Eric seconds. Approved unanimously.
    • Approval of policy tabled pending amendments.
  • Budget:
    • Some holes in 2004 number: Turkeybowl, Chickflick fields, accounting of summer league field costs (all lumped together), some bills paid in Jan 05 for 2004 events.
    • Lumping of costs to be accounted for better in the future, will not go back and update old accounts.
    • Want to do better job of giving budget info to event organizers.
    • Needs:
      • Breakdown expected field costs by event? Yes, as much as feasible, although much of this may not be budget related.
      • Get requests from various committees for expenses.
      • Barney suggests that we aim to set aside some given amount each year for various long range funds (eg: field acquisition/improvement).
  • Update on Trumba (scheduling software) meeting: doesn't serve our functional needs (doesn't have score reporting). William suggest we use as secondary calendar if easy (it's free).
  • Action items:
    • Come up with a way to track lobbying expenses and update board after implementation (William, MikeK)
    • Committee heads email William with budget expectations for the next year. Items > $500 only.
    • Grade existing council members on their support of active recreation and field advocacy.
  • Next month's agenda items:
    • Starbucks grant application.
    • Final approval of Lobbying policy.
  • Move to adjourn: unrecorded, but it was late enough that my laptop's battery had gone dead...


"Our mission as a non-profit organization is to promote and support growth in the Sport of Ultimate, while instilling the Spirit of Sportsmanship at all levels of play."

Northwest Ultimate Association
P.O. Box 85112
Seattle WA, 98145-1112