DiscNW Board Meeting Minutes

DiscNW Board Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the 28 February, 2005 DiscNW Board meeting.

  • Meeting opened at 7:15pm.
  • Attending: Mike Mullen, Janna, Jessica, Barney, Jimmy, Bunny, Chris Burke (late), Mike Keran. Absent: Eric Mattson, Dave Dreher, Barbara (on leave).
  • Discussion of Youth Committees goals for Youth Club Championships (YCC):
    • Mike Mullen presented some background on the UPA's youth efforts: history, need for YCC tournament, etc. YCC originated when the UPA change their HS Championship rules to ban teams made up of players from more than one school. MikeM worked with the UPA to provide an avenue for mixed (co-ed) leagues to participate in a national level tournament, thus YCC was born.
    • YCC is a 'UPA Sanctioned' tournament where all participants on a team must have taken part in a UPA sanctioned local league in the previous year. DiscNW will be changing our single-gender HS leagues to 'UPA Sanctioned' leagues, meaning all participants must be UPA members.
    • Concerns were raised about possible financial hardship caused by an addition league fee. The Board agreed to provide financial assistance as we do with other youth leagues.
    • What are the benefits to us in moving to a UPA Sanctioned league? Including the sport's national governing body helps add legitimacy to the league in the eyes of school Athletic Directors and other powers that be; possibly move to using UPA's medical and liability waivers (less paperwork for us to deal with); promote the sport at a national level;
    • Other ideas were discussed that would help integrate DiscNW's and UPA's memberships: bulk registration, "free" UPA membership with a DiscNW membership over some dollar amount, etc.
    • MikeK moved to approve the Youth Committee goals as outlined, MikeM seconds. Approved unanimously.
  • Kristen Dailey (former DiscNW board member) has been elected to the UPA board representing the NW. She is on a new UPA committee to improve relationships with leagues (both adult and youth). The UPA Board has budgeted money to this for FY2005. She will be presenting at a future DiscNW Board meeting.
  • Updates on major projects:
    • Executive Search Committee: New ED hired. (yea!). The Search Committee will be disbanded and replaced with the Executive Review Committee to handle annual goals and reviewing of the E.D.
    • Membership: roll out had been postponed by the resignation of the previous E.D., then by the new league engine roll out, however, the Board feels that additional delays will hold up other projects and is pushing to start the Membership system without the new league engine in place.
  • Updates on committee goals
    • Fields Committee: needs to revisit goals for long-term field advocacy.
    • Communication Committee: Most of CommComm's short terms goals have been met with the exception of new player welcome packets and new parent welcome packets
    • Requested that all committee heads email the latest copy of their goals to the board for review before the next meeting
  • Jimmy renewed our trademarks with the US Patent Office, they should be good for another 7 years. Many thanks for this work!
  • Discussion of things that were dropped during the E.D. transition that we have not covered yet:
    • Membership roll out. (delayed)
    • New player clinics (aka Ultimate 101): Cannot get fields in time for the first clinics in the series William will look into reviving the clinic schedule with an emphasis on getting the beginner level clinics running first rather than an all-or-nothing revival of the entire series of clinics.
    • Budget: William and MikeK to work on getting the 2005 budget presented at the March meeting
    • Sponsorship: DaveD to continue conversations with various potential sponsors.
  • ED Report was presented via email to Board members:
    • Finances:
      • Still working with Mike Keran to learn more about our finances and accounts.
      • Checking Account balance: $11, 476.00
      • Business Premium Account balance: $60, 582.48
    • ED Transition:
      • Meetings with Mike Keran and Chris Burke to learn the ropes
      • Signed up for Quick Books clinic to take place in March.
      • Added to ADP Payroll Services.
      • Picked up archives, files, and memoribilia from Barney & Mike
      • Added to Wells Fargo account
      • Created proposal for employee attendance policies per request Barney
      • Completed and filed L&I quarterly report
    • Web Team:
      • Started planning updates to site with web team
      • Will move the site to a new server cluster on Speakeasy to receive more support and maintenance from Speakeasy
      • Need to acquire new databases for testing and site upgrades
      • New site design should be ready in 1-2 weeks
      • Membership and updates to league engine will take another 1-2 months
      • Arranged presentation with Trumba to view their software
    • Leagues:
      • Winter League completed this past weekend. There is still some confusion about which teams have paid - not all deposits were noted. I will get to the bottom of it. Preliminary budget indicates a $20 profit once all fees are collected.
      • All Spring Leagues have started or completed registration; Verns League will open in about a week.
      • All Spring Leagues have all fields needs met for regular season with the exception of Verns which is %75 complete.
      • All League Coordinators in place - except Verns which still needs West-side coordinators.
      • Verns will be split with some east side and some west side teams & fields. Many players live and work on the east side and find it hard to make it to Friday evening games on time.
      • Numbers of teams registered (and paid) so far:
        • Middle School - 26 (5)
        • HS Coed - 18 (2)
        • HS Single Gender - 10 (0)
        • Adult - 36 (13)
    • Tournaments:
      • Fields, dates, and TDs have been finalized for Slog, both Spring Reigns, HS States, UPA HS Westerns, and Potlatch.
      • Registration is now open for Slog in the Bog and both Spring Reign Tourneys.
      • Registration will open in 1-3 weeks for HS States.
      • Spring Reign, States, and Westerns are still looking for volunteers.
      • Spring Reign preliminary budget is completed and is available upon request.
      • Numbers of teams registered (and paid) so far:
        • MS Spring Reign - 12 (0)
        • HS Spring Reign - 13 (0)
        • Slog in the Bog - 8 (5)
    • Youth Ultimate:
      • A Youth Club Program proposal was drafted by the Youth Committee and awaits approval from Board.
      • Dave Dreher will give a presentation in Portland at the AAHPERD to promote the sport to PE teachers.
      • I have contacted Bud Turner about presenting at the "Best in the West PE Conference" for 2006.
      • Early discussions are under way to plan the summer camp schedule for 2005.
    • Fields:
      • I spoke with Barry O'Brien from LWYSA to start relationship regarding 60 acres.
      • Fields advocacy group is in the early stages of submitting an application for a $15,000 grant from Starbucks to improve a neighborhood field.
      • There is an open house tomorrow at Loyal Heights to discuss planned improvements to the park and Community Center.
      • We have already started to reserve fields for summer leagues!
      • Dave Dreher (Tukwilla), John McCormack & Joann Mizzi (eastside) have joined the Neighborhood Fields Team
    • Other:
      • Started discussions with Matt Krogh from Bellingham ultimate to build a relationship with DiscNW
      • Met with Kristen Dailey to discuss ways in which the UPA can better aid local ultimate organizations. Kristen is new to the UPA Board and is Chairperson of a committee to work on this topic.
  • Tabled until next month: Lobbying and endorsement policy discussion
  • Board action items:
    • Committee chairs: email current short and long term goals to the board for review. 5-minute presentation of current goals for March meeting.
    • All: work on long-term scheduling of board meeting agendas (ie: basic outline of topics to be discussed during each month's meeting).
    • CommComm: review and update goals for discussion at March meeting.
    • William: Ultimate 101 and 102 clinics.
    • William and MikeK: 2005 budget.
  • Tentative agenda items for March (21 March, 2004 at 7pm):
    • Budget.
    • Membership update, membership talking points.
    • Rebalance committees.
    • Bill Farmer (or other) field advocacy review.
    • Potlatch update.
  • Move to adjorn: 9:30pm.


"Our mission as a non-profit organization is to promote and support growth in the Sport of Ultimate, while instilling the Spirit of Sportsmanship at all levels of play."

Northwest Ultimate Association
P.O. Box 85112
Seattle WA, 98145-1112