DiscNW Board Meeting Minutes
Minutes from the 15 November, 2004 DiscNW Board meeting.
- Meeting opened at 7:10pm.
- Attending: MikeK, Chris, MikeM, Bunny, Janna, Wilma, Barney, Eric, Jimmy, Dave, Barbara, and Jessica.
- Previous month's minutes were approved.
- Chris attended the UPA's National leagues conf. and gave us an overview:
- Nationwide, folks look at DiscNW as a leader, eg: leagues, tourneys, organization, only one with a paid employee.
- Of all organizations at the meeting, 1/3 has a 'dictatorship' (run by an individual), 2/3 have boards of directors. 3 groups have paid memberships of a total ~25 area groups.
- BUDA (Boston), outsources field aquisition to teams, organized through a single contact at BUDA.
- Most leagues have the same issues we face, eg: # of women (everyone wants to play co-ed). BUDA turned their women's league into a women's "learning" league (run in the summer when elite teams can participate/coach).
- Obtaining fields is a big issue for everyone. "Gasps of astonishment" when Chris showed the new DiscNW maps page.
- Other fields presentation by Ken of Ottawa:
- They bought 110 acres for $225k Cdn in '97 or '98. 40 acres were usable for fields.
- Sold 750 shares for $200 each, borrowed money from their own and nearby leagues, raised fees on leagues (currently: Cdn$950/team x 358 teams)
- Total project costs: $600k, including aquisition.
- Project was so big that it nearly destroyed the organization. Cash flow issues caused additional league fee increases.
- Currently, they have paid back most of their loans, but they have more teams than they have field space for.
- Major takeaway: works low-priced land, but not in Seattle.
- UPA sanctioned leagues (all league members must be UPA members): Chris mentioned that we don't get anything from the UPA that DiscNW doesn't already supply. He brought up the idea of 'affiliated' membership.
- UPA looking to subscribe to a wire service and is interested in partners for that.
- Montreal has a different way to rank spirit: start at 5 with suggestions for pluses and minuses. We are considering using thier system for our leagues.
- UPA is looking into regional offices.
- The board set out expectations and planned for the annual meeting.
- The board discussed ED benefits:
- Barbara to look into health benefit costs.
- Language changes as per JimmyO's email. Motion to approve the new ED vacation and benfits package (see attached) by Barney. Eric seconds. Approved unanimously.
- Execute review committee formed. To consist of Mike K. (chair), Barney, and Barbara.
- ED Report was presented via email to board members:
- A few months ago, the board requested a timeline for the league engine rewrite. I talked to Jacob and he is expecting to have it finished for the spring league.
- The Holiday Cup has been cancelled due to low interest. However, the committee will reconvene to discuss plans for next year's event. We all felt this was a good idea but our timeframe was too short.
- Field requests have been made for various tournaments, leagues and clinics for winter and spring.
- I'm in the process of reviewing next year's budget and also cleaning up any outstanding A/R and A/P. I'd like to actually close out the books each calendar year.
- I've contacted various vendors for league prizes and am also contacting a few restaurants to be "sponsor bars."
- D&O insurance. After talking to our insurance agent, I would recommend that we not get D&O insurance. Almost all of what we do is covered under our regular insurance. Our insurance limits, with a $500 deductible, are:
- $2mil General Aggregate
- $1mil Each occurrence
- $1mil Personal & advertising injury
- $100,000 Damage to premises rented to you
- $5,000 Medical expense
- Financials as of 11/15/04 are:
||% of budget|
- Move to adjorn: 9:17pm.