DiscNW Youth Individual Scholarship Policy
Full and partial scholarships are available for individual youth players participating in all DiscNW youth camps, hat leagues and tournaments, and Youth Club Championships (YCC). Any adult—coach, parent/guardian, relative, friend, teacher, or other—may apply for a scholarship on behalf of a youth player.
If you are looking for information on team scholarships, please click here.
Application for Scholarships
PO Box 85112
Seattle, WA 98145
The event coordinator(s), DiscNW full-time staff, and (occasionally) members of the Youth Strategic Committee make up the Scholarship Committee. Decisions made by the Scholarship Committee include the following:
- Whether or not a scholarship will be awarded,
- The amount of that award, and
- The expectations for the recipient of the award.
The information on the scholarship application will be viewed only by the Scholarship Committee, and that committee’s members will not share the information with any other parties without the express permission of the applicant. The Scholarship Committee will notify applicants of their award decision within one week of the date that the scholarship application was received.
Unfortunately, the Scholarship Committee is not always able to award scholarships to all applicants. The amount of scholarship money available varies depending on the specific event. The following factors are considered in the scholarship decision-making process:
- Financial need. Financial need is the most important factor affecting the strength of a scholarship application. Applications that do not demonstrate financial need are typically not considered. An applicant’s personal statement explaining the financial hardship is the primary indicator of financial need considered by the Scholarship Committee. As long as applicants continue to use this process respectfully, we will continue to require no other “official” documentation of financial need for individual scholarships.
- Time of application. Unless otherwise stated on the event webpage, scholarships will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
For Summer Youth Ultimate camps, DiscNW offers four specific types of need-based scholarships. If you are applying for a scholarship for camp, please make sure to select one of the following options from the bottom of your DiscNW Youth Individual Scholarship Application:
- Full Financial Aid: The entire cost of the camp is waived.*
- 75% Financial Aid: The family pays only 25% of the camp fee ($70 for a $275 camp).*
- 50% Financial Aid: The family pays only half the cost of camp ($137.50 for $275 camp).*
- Work-Exchange Financial Aid: This is available only to high school students. The camp fee is waived, as it would be for a full scholarship. In exchange, the camper works as a volunteer counselor at a school-specific camp, as a volunteer coach for a team from a younger age group, or as a volunteer at other youth events as needed. We request that recipients be discreet about the aid that they have received.
*Please Note: In order to ensure equal treatment by peers and counselors, the Camp Directors request that parents do not notify the recipient of financial aid. Coaches and counselors are not aware of which campers have received financial aid. Only pertinent DiscNW staff and Mike Mullen, camp co-director, review the applications.