Information for Coaches
Here is a list of resources for coaches and, of course, team captains, players, PE teachers, or anyone else who wants to teach skills, find a team to coach, or learn drills, plays, and strategy. Be sure to also check out the Learning About Ultimate section on the Resources page.
- Full Ultimate Curriculums
- Skills, Drills, and Strategy
- Training and Conditioning (Coming Later)
- Books, DVDs, and Other Non-Web-Based Resources
- Coaching Courses and Other Resources
- Job Listings
Are you looking for specific information, such as paperwork requirements, for current leagues or tournaments? Please view the DiscNW Events bar in the right column of the website for information on current events. For other seasons' events, check out our Play Youth Ultimate page.
Full Ultimate Curriculums
- The Australian Flying Disc Association's (AFDA's) Juniors Lesson Plans
- Includes curriculums for elementary school, middle school, and high school students. Also includes a list of drills and a catalogue of non-Ultimate disc games.
Skills, Drills, and Strategy
- The Australian Flying Disc Association's (AFDA's) Skills Section
- Includes articles on basic skills, links to playbooks online, and a catalogue of numerous other Ultimate-related links
- The Beginner's Ultimate Strategy Guide
- By Athan Spiros. Basic defenses and offenses for the beginner to intermediate player.
- The New Ultimate Playbook
- By Athan Spiros and colleague. Offenses and defenses for the intermediate to advanced player.
- The Manitoba Organization of Disc Sports (MODS) Coaching Basics
- Outlines basic throwing, offensive and defensive strategy, and rules in 11 pages.
- PlaySportsTV Ultimate Frisbee Videos
- A series of videos and articles for coaches on teaching basic skills and strategies.
- Ultimate for Beginners
- The hard version of the Ultimate Handbook (see below). A very basic introduction to the sport.
- Ultimate Handbook
- ©Andre Liem. Information on basics, strategy, and training. Includes animations as well as a blog, a forum, and opportunities to comment.
- USA Ultimate's PE Instructor Outreach Page
- Features a wide variety of resources, including skills and drills, promotional materials, articles about teaching Ultimate, and materials for sale.
- The Ultimate Skills and Drills
- ©Bharat Mediratta. A repository of animated skills and drills contributed by Ultimate players. You can also animate and submit your own drills at this site.
- Videopapers: Ultimate
- By Dan Cogan-Drew. This is a series of short clips illustrating common skills and situations.
Books, DVDs, and other Non-Web-Based Resources
- Essential Ultimate: Teaching, Coaching, Playing
- Book. 2008. By Michael Baccarini and Tiina Booth.
- Ultimate 101: Laying out the Game.
- DVD. 2004. Created by Wham-O and the Ultimate Players Association (UPA). Order a 175g, UPA-approved Wham-O disc at this site and receive a mail-in coupon for the free DVD.
- Ultimate Fitness
- DVD. 2007. Created by Brian Doo, Dan Cogan-Drew, and the Ultimate Players Association (UPA)
- The Ultimate Players Association (UPA) Educational Kits
- Sold through Wright Life, these usually include several standard (age 13 and older) or junior (age 12 and under) discs and written coaching materials.
- Ultimate Techniques and Tactics
- Book. 2004. By James Parinella and Eric Zaslow.
Coaching Courses and Other Resources
- USA Ultimate's Coaches Page
- Includes information on upcoming Coaching Certification Courses, Ethics Code for Coaches, and Spirit of Coaching.
- USA Ultimate's Grant Programs
- Includes the Innovation grant and two equipment grants. Applications due in the summer and in the fall.
- USA Ultimate's Sanctioning Program
- Information on how to obtain insurance coverage, advertising, and many more benefits for your event or even your practices.