DiscNW Community Bulletin Boards

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-02 10:23 pm

AndyO
Scoober

Major League Ultimate Impressions

So who caught any of the Potlatch MLU action?  I saw the first half of NW vs SE on Sunday morning. 
Ups: Refs seemed to keep the game flowing when it was going - didn't seem top be much argueing about travelling, fouls, catch / no catch. 
Downs:  1) One purpose of having refs is to make the game more palatable to the causal observer who is used to seeing traditional US sports (football, etc).  Most other 'timed' sports (football, hockey, basketball) have 60 minutes of 'action time' (basketball is a bit shorter) at their highest level.  2 fifteen minute halfs would leave a causal observer feeling like there wasn't enough 'game' to watch, IMO.  2) I haven't seen college nationals or other UPA events (I'm just a pickup / C-league player), but it seemed like there was a lot of wasted time between points.  One thing I like about ultimate is the continuous flow.  Just because football has breaks between plays doesn't mean Ultimate needs to slow itself down. 
Waddaya think?

used to be fast, now I'm just old

#2 2006-07-02 10:47 pm

manzell
Greatest
Website

Re: Major League Ultimate Impressions

I think the two-point line was weak - it seemed to force teams to willfully choose a two point at the expense of going for one, but unlike in basketball, one can't "kick it out" for the two point look once you've ventured into the danger area.  A certain MLU ump thought that a tw0-point line in the BACK of the endzone (say, the 5 deepest yards) would be better for 2-pointers.

no comment on the refs, I didn't have any issues; although I don't watch to much.  seemed like the same ultimate I've seen great players play before, for the most part.

"This is why I'm hot."

#3 2006-07-07 04:41 pm

jcw
Air Bounce

I also thought it would be more interesting if the time between points was reduced or eliminated.  Here are some crazy ideas to increase continuity of play.

Make it-take it is definitely fast and allows for uninterrupted play.  It would also give offense even more of an advantage over defense which I think would be bad.

Immediate pull with no time to return to your line.  The player catching the score must pull.  The receiving team must vacate the pulling team's endzone to give the puller room to manuever.  The both teams may move anywhere on the field during the pull.  Use hockey style player substitutions.

Later,
Jason

#4 2006-07-10 07:09 am

leftydisc
Air Bounce

A lot of down time between points??  Have you timed how long between points at league games, pickup, etc??  Most of the time you're lucky to have the pull in the air before 2 minutes have elapsed.  99% of the time the MLU teams had the pull in the air at or before 60 seconds.  As for 15-minute halves being too short - the clock does not run from score until the receiving team puts the disc in play (either receiving the pull or checked in after a brick) nor for any stoppages due to fouls or violations, so 15 minutes winds up being a lot longer than it seems.

#5 2006-07-11 08:29 pm

AndyO
Scoober

I agree, untimed league games usually waste a bit of time on the line between points.  (I supppose it seems a bit different when you're the one on the line, gasping for breath, rather than on the sidelines, watching.)  I was coming at it from the perspective of the old arguement of which is more strenuous, soccer or Ultimate.  The fewer and shorter the breaks in the action are, the better Ultimate looks in comparison. 

The 15 minute thing was more of an initial reaction from the potential non-players perspective.  Again, watching the actual MLU demo game, the duration of the first half wasn't all that different from a league game.  It just *sounds* short.

So it probably comes down to what is the aim of MLU?  To introduce referees to the game we all play with as little change as possible, or to change the game to make it more spectator friendly?

used to be fast, now I'm just old

#6 2006-07-12 02:26 pm

manzell
Greatest
Website

I agree... 15 minute halves might be the right amount of time of actual action, but it's misleading.  Imagine watching the game on TV and saying "honey, there's only 5 minutes left in the half".  It' be worse than the NBA.

Perhaps the clock should run during calls, and only stop for Timeouts, between points, and for injuries...  something like 30 minute halves (I don't know that that's the time lost to calls/injury/etc) would certainly SOUND alot nicer.

"This is why I'm hot."

#7 2006-07-17 04:47 pm

Dan Anderson
Hammer

I watched for about 45 minutes...saw a lot of travelling but didn't see any travels called.  Was that a conscious decision by the officials prior to the games?

#8 2006-07-18 07:30 am

leftydisc
Air Bounce

Dan - officials were told to not call the "ticky-tack" travels.  Personally, I think all travels should be called so I had to think about which were "ticky-tack" and which weren't.  The disc moved so quickly that any hesitation and I pretty much missed my opportunity to make the call.  I think the biggest adjustment for MLU refs will be to make calls instinctively, w/o thinking about it beforehand.  Kind of like on Jeopardy where a contestant buzzes in before they've accessed the info from their memory - trusting they know the answer (question) and can retrieve it before the time expires.  For MLU refs that means more experience reffing.

Board footer