DiscNW Community Bulletin Boards

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-13 11:15 am

Chris

Visions of Change? (MLU)

After three fun-filled, grueling days of ultimate, there really isn't anything better than crowding around a field with hundreds of other tired and sweaty ultimate players, cracking open a PBR or five, and watching the Finals of Potlatch.

Heckling friends, heckling players you have never met before--all in the name of good, somewhat clean ultimate fun is what Potlatch is all about.

Two years ago at Potlatch was an amazing time.  I watched the six-year old kid jump out onto the Finals field during time outs and halftime and throw perfect hammers and scoobers to the crowd's delight.  I watched Hip Hop Wig Shop players score a point, throw the disc high into the air, get tossed a beer from the crowd, chug it, toss it back to the crowd... then play the next point with gusto.

The players were having fun and so was the crowd.  Good times.

---

With the addition of more "showcase" games this year at Potlatch, namely the introduction of Major League Ultimate (MLU), what do you think this will change at Potlatch, if anything?  From what I've heard, MLU is basically a stab at making Ultimate more marketable--grabbing some of the best players in the nation and putting them into regional teams (NW, SW, NE, SE) and playing round-robin, referreed games to determine a champion.

I have mixed feelings about MLU, especially at Potlatch--a tournament that is known for its great spirit, gift giving, and cheers.

If MLU is introduced in a friendly and crowd-pleasing way like the finals of yester-year, I am all for the addition.  I think showcasing some of the best players in the nation to G-pool players like myself, is a very fun and exciting thing to do.

I would like to hear what other people think about MLU at Potlatch.

-Chris

#2 2006-06-13 04:59 pm

Woodiepaddler
Air Bounce

Re: Visions of Change? (MLU)

I'm looking forward to watching.  The spirit of Potlatch should be able to survive with the "rest of us" playing in the right mind-set, and I bet the MLU players will bring some of that spirit too, since it is an exhibition.

I hope the games are scheduled in such a way that we can get a crowd to watch, and not have them conflict with our own games, and the Potlatch finals.

#3 2006-06-14 09:26 am

Chris

J,

I whole-heartedly agree with you.  In my experience, Potlatch brings out the best in people.  Also, one of the MLU managers emailed me and basically said that even though refs might sound like a step away from the spirited Ultimate that all of us have come to know and love--one big reason the refs are there in the first place is to keep that spirit alive.

When you're playing against the best players in the nation, "hopped up on Red Bull or gu," you aren't really in the right frame of mind to make or argue calls rationally.  On top of that, you don't have time or capacity to watch people's feets for travel calls, etc.  When it comes to MLU, he says that refs are there to keep the spirit going and to let the players focus on playing.

I have no doubt that Potlatch is going to be an amazing event again this year--I just hope the refs don't trickle down into our G-pool matches anytime soon.  How are we supposed to beat Olympia if we can't cheat... I mean... use Todd to flash their women?  Well, I guess refs probably couldn't stop that smile

-Chris

#4 2006-06-14 04:48 pm

Woodiepaddler
Air Bounce

G pool?!?  Get with the times!  We are ready for the F-pool!  Go Tacoma!!!

Jerry

#5 2006-06-14 05:00 pm

bunny
Executive Director
Website

Woodiepaddler :

I hope the games are scheduled in such a way that we can get a crowd to watch, and not have them conflict with our own games, and the Potlatch finals.

The games will not conflict with the Potlatch finals.   and you should be able to watch a game during your bye on Saturday.

William Bartram
Executive Director, DiscNW

Board footer