DiscNW Community Bulletin Boards

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-18 11:52 am

weeznation
Push Pass

Lystedt Law

Hello,

I thought the Lystadt law (Concussion Law) only applied to WIAA sports until I heard differently today at a middle school athletic director meeting. In looking at the Brain Injury Assoc of Washington website there is an indication that the law applies to DiscNW as well. The law"requires private, nonprofit youth sports associations to be in compliance with the policies adopted by the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association"

Here are links for more info:

Brain Injury Association of Washington:
http://www.biawa.org/lystedt.htm

WIAA:
http://wiaa.com/ConcussionManagement/default.htm

WIAA Video:
http://www.wiaa.com/lystedt/default.htm

Not only do parents and kids have to sign waivers but coaches have to sign something saying they have been given training. And I think some field providers will ask for documentation from youth organzations that they are abiding by the law. Pretty much just a single document to add onto the insurance ionfo that usually is submitted but still.

I think this also means the UPA will have to abide by this for Westerns.

-Mike Mullen

#2 2009-10-13 06:15 pm

wynne.scherf
Layout D

Re: Lystedt Law

DiscNW has been researching this law over the last several weeks.  We have determined that it applies to nonprofit organizations only when we are using school facilities.  Many youth sports organizations are following the procedures outlined in the law in a good-faith effort to protect the children participating in their events.  Though it is not a requirement by law, we anticipate that we will also provide some level of concussion education to the coaches, players, and parents participating in our leagues.  We are currently determining what form that education will take, and we plan to roll it out for our big spring season.

Please feel free to email me at wynne.scherf@discnw.org if you have any concerns, questions, or suggestions.

Wynne Scherf
DiscNW
Director of Youth Operations

#3 2010-01-07 11:10 am

wynne.scherf
Layout D

Re: Lystedt Law

In preparation for our spring season, we have created a new Lystedt Law educational resource for our coaches, players, and parents.

We are currently working on updating our youth waiver to include the information about head injuries that is recommended by the WIAA.  This waiver will go into effect for all youth spring leagues. 

We are also developing a document for coaches to sign that outlines their responsibilities at DiscNW events, including those related to the management of head injuries.

Last but not least, we will be providing education for coaches and parents before or after each of our coaches' meetings.

Electronic versions of the new paperwork will be emailed to all 2010 league coaches by February 12 and to Spring Reign coaches by April 4.

Please contact me if you have any questions about the Lystedt Law and associated paperwork.

Wynne Scherf
DiscNW
Director of Youth Operations

Board footer