DiscNW Community Bulletin Boards

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-04 06:48 pm

wynne.scherf
Layout D

New YCC Qualifying League!

Just a heads up to all 2010 Youth Club Championship (YCC) hopefuls:

DiscNW is creating a new, high school hat club league for the fall, which will be the qualifying league for the Seattle YCC teams.  That means that any player wishing to play on Seattle's YCC teams in 2010 must participate in this new fall league.  The spring team leagues will no longer qualify players for YCC.

More details to follow.  It's going to be great!

Wynne Scherf
DiscNW
Director of Youth Operations

#2 2009-07-16 05:38 pm

Disc Warrior
Flick

Re: New YCC Qualifying League!

I have to say that this proposal raises a lot of questions. While it has two main advantages in that DiscNW, with a club league, will move up the bid priority list for YCC and also provide opportunity for HS age players to play outside of their high school teams, I would say that there is a lot to sort out that is not addressed in the above post.

If it's in the fall, how will this affect two sport athletes? Cross country and Soccer, two sports which ultimate draw heavily from, compete in the fall. 1A schools such as Northwest, have boys soccer seasons in the fall and have such a limited talent pool that they can't support both events going on at the same. On the girls side, the crossover appears from my point of view to be similar. Fozz, how many girls have you coached that played soccer in the fall? Are you going to schedule to avoid major conflicts with other sports? If so, then:

What day(s) are these games going to be held on?
Almost every school day is a possibility to have a soccer game scheduled. The exception at most levels in Washington is Friday. But Friday is football night, and not only are those players unable play that night, so are the bandmembers, etc. that are part of a HS football game. Saturdays are cross country meets and invites, as well as more soccer and football games. The really only open day that doesn't conflict is Sunday, and that's asking athletes to go 7 days a week in the fall. That sort of schedule will wear on anyone. Also, even if you schedule the club league games on Fridays, taking away a recruiting pool because it's game night (as someone who played football and ultimate in HS, that would have been a difficult decision), you are still competing for field space no matter where you host games. Which leads us to:

Where will the games be played?
Seattle is the logical choice, but that will start to shut off kids from outside the city limits. If the games are held on weekdays, that is a school night, and if the games are timed to start after practice (say at 6:30pm) then they'll cut into the night with a 2hr game. Factor in transportation to the suburbs and that's kids getting home at 9:00 - 9:30 every night. Transportation's also an issue in high school, what with half the kids on each HS team not having drivers licenses. I know I couldn't have played YCC without a drivers license. The location of the league will constrain the pool of players as well.

How will the league be formatted?
Teams, Hat or Draft? Teams exclude players outside the "scene" and there is a risk that a superteam could make things less fun for everyone else. Single Gender or Co-ed? They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

How many players on each team and what is the attendance policy?
What prevents a player from signing up and going to only one or two of the games? Will there be coaches or someone auditing to make sure people play? I can see a scenario where people sign up just so they are eligible for YCC.

Will these games be evaluated? Is this league going to replace tryouts or will it be a learning/growth/fun league? Is the goal of the league merely so players can establish eligibility?

What about club ultimate players? If a HS player has the skills to make Riot, Sockeye or Voodoo, do they get an exception or do they have to balance the two.

As the above post says, more details to follow, so I'm sure some of the questions are not new to the people planning this league. But, this is a Big Deal in the local youth ultimate scene and its announcement got buried on the the message board on the Fourth of July, when people were either occupied with their families or with Potlatch. Why? This league is going to start sometime in the next two months. Awareness of it should be raised now.

#3 2009-07-16 07:53 pm

weeznation
Push Pass

Above is a great post. Well thought out and reasoned. I have a unique point of view on all of this because back in the day I helped create the YCC and HS championships as the Seattle rep on the national committee and I pushed through the YCC and HS championships stuff at the local level. Both national and local arguments were huge headaches that took tons of work and there wasnít a lot of initial support especially from the Seattle coed community. That said I think I have earned the right to comment on this even though I am not part of any current DiscNW youth committees Ė though I am co-director of the camps which is a bit of a committee.

Frankly, I agree with your listed points. I have a made an argument for a late spring / early summer league to qualify for YCC to certain folks on the committee and I think it is being considered. Iím willing to bet that I am not the only one who has made that suggestion but I donít know for sure. (Also, Northwest, Seattle Academy, Bush, and U-Prep all play soccer games on Fridays - both boys and girls)

The biggest issue about all of this that I did not know about when I saw the initial post in this thread is that the UPA has some odd rules for qualifying for YCC. A little background:  Initially YCC was supposed to be fed by HS leagues. This is essentially how Seattle has done it from the single gender league with coed league going back and forth depending on the UPA rules. Iím not sure when it happened but somewhere along the line the UPA has changed the qualifying to be guaranteed from club leagues instead. I donít know the reasoning for this but I assumed it was to give more access to kids who arenít involved in HS programs Ė though it could also be that there are some strong HS teams that donít want to participate in HS leagues. (The strongest Seattle HS single gender teams have always accommodated the beginning teams btw) Either way it now means that Seattle is not guaranteed a spot for HS leagues. Okay fine, we should support the UPA and start some club leagues to support this. This is what I didnít understand about the initial plan for YCC qualifying. Why limit it to fall? (yes you are right on your points of consideration). Why not do something in the fall, winter, late spring/summer? I asked Wynne this and she told me that the reason being that the UPA only allows a single YCC bid to come from one league per season. In other words if there were three leagues each would have to apply for a different team to attend the tourney. This absolutely makes no sense. This is not inclusive in any way shape or form and I canít figure out why the UPA is doing this. Either way it puts DiscNW is a tough position of having to choose a season for the qualifying league. The good news is that Wynne is asking for clarification on this from the UPA and is essentially appealing that rule.

If we have to choose I would like to see the YCC qualifying league in the late spring for many of the reasons you list. That said I would still like to see club opportunities year round and I think the Moho version of that is the right way to go.

League structure:

Start the league a week after the HS leagues/tournaments end. Have it be a Moho style league where there is quality skills training done for 45 minutes to an hour and then teams split up  to play games.  Have league meet twice a week (Wednesday and Sunday evening if possible though maybe Friday night is better). Have different locations for games geographically. South End (Van Asselt), North End (Magnuson), and another location to serve the suburbs. Play single gender. Girls as a whole get a lot better playing single gender though drills could be coed. Go for four weeks and be done before July. (Another session could go July/August for those who donít make YCC. Everyone must follow the letter of the eligibility rules to be eligible for the YCC tryouts that happen a few weeks into the league.  If technically that means players only have to show up twice so be it. (From a HS point of view we are nowhere near being a sport where everyone shows up all the time)

Good reasons for spring as the official YCC league:

UPA memberships end in December. You will have some players required to buy memberships in fall and then in spring. Yes, some will carry over from prior spring to fall but not all.

There are many players who really get fired up about the sport during the HS spring season. These players will not be eligible. The league should be put as close or part of the tryout process without infringing on the HS season.  There will also be some going into 9th grade students who could try out.

Having the league after HS sports wrap up in the spring means there will be more fields available than in the  fall.

Bad reasons for spring:

The UPA might not allow a bid from a league that has not happened yet when the bids are being given out. However, I find it hard to believe that the UPA would say no to a plan that is trying to increase UPA memberships and hopefully they will allow a multiple league bid considering that we are all from the same local organization.

Also charge enough for coaches to be paid. But donít charge like it is an adult league. These leagues should be budgeted to be at cost leagues. And of course youth should get priority for Seattle fields.

Gray area: How to work these leagues with tryouts? My suggestion would be to have players who make the YCC teams continue to play in the league as fitness training/upkeep and also as a way to give back to the community.

Iím sure there are people who say this isnít in the spirit of the leagues but that argument doesnít work. First, Seattle was one of the initial big time supporters and backers of YCC from HS leagues. It was the UPA that changed the requirements to give a smaller club leagues priority over a bigger HS leagues. That said, by making an effort to make this league accessible to as many players as possible, no matter what the format, that is well within the spirit of the whole thing because the bottom line is how many kids will be buying UPA memberships and playing.

Thatís all I got for now. Ė Mike Mullen

#4 2009-07-17 11:45 am

awells06
Swilly

First, the disclaimer: I am a coach for both the Northwest School and YCC. I am also a member of the DiscNW Youth Leagues Sub-Committee. The following opinions are my own.

DiscWarrior, you raise some great questions. Iím not centrally involved in the planning of this league, but I think I may be able to provide at least a little clarity. As you say, there is a lot to sort out that is not addressed in Wynneís post. Itís important to raise awareness of this league, and Wynne is doing the right thing by announcing it, even if details are still being worked out. That said, even more pupblicity wouldnít be a bad thing.

Before addressing specific queries, I want to talk generally about the new league. Mike brings up a critical point: DiscNW is operating under the constraints of the UPA. The purpose of the new league is to provide an avenue for obtaining YCC eligibility that is not the current school-based leagues. Maintaining UPA eligibility for a league places a tremendous burden (paperwork and financial) on both organizers and participants, many of whom may not be interested in what the UPA has to offer. Rather than force this burden upon those who arenít interested in YCC (many people in the school-based leagues), it is better to create an alternate league tailored to those who are interested (this new league).

Regarding scheduling conflicts and holding the league in the fall: Unfortunately, there is no season in which other sports arenít being played. Conflicts are unavoidable. That said, smart scheduling (i.e. what days) to minimize conflict will be critical for this new league. Still, why the fall? Winter is out because of the weather. Spring is already consumed by school-based leagues. Mike presents a compelling proposal for early summer right after the school-based leagues end. The major flaw here is that there is not enough time between the end of the school-based leagues and the start of YCC practices. As a YCC coach I can tell you that this practice time is critical to the teams. In my mind, it makes no sense to spite the YCC teams for the sake of YCC qualifying. This leaves us with fall. One last point about scheduling conflicts: the target audience for this new league is kids interested in playing on a YCC team. While many of these kids are multi-sport athletes, they are also the kids who are most likely to select Ultimate first if forced to choose.

Regarding location: I believe the plan is to have rotating locations so as to increase accessibility for as many kids as possible.

Regarding attendance policy: This is an area where I imagine UPA constraints will be a heavy determining factor.

Regarding evaluations/tryouts: I do not foresee this league replacing tryouts. Too much improvement/growth happens over the course of the year to not have tryouts in late spring/early summer.

Regarding club players: Practices for the YCC teams are concurrent with the club season. The athletes already have to make tough decisions and balance their commitments.

Thanks again for the input, and to anyone reading this, please help spread the word about this league.

Alex Wells

#5 2009-07-17 11:57 am

wynne.scherf
Layout D

Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful responses.  It is, indeed, a very complicated issue.  Today I am going to work on an FAQ and hopefully will be able to post it by tomorrow.  Answers coming soon.  : )

Wynne Scherf
DiscNW

#6 2009-07-17 03:02 pm

weeznation
Push Pass

Alex Ė

Thanks for the reply.

This issue and whether the UPA policy for YCC will stay as written is going to be a big test for the DiscNW youth committee and the youth coordinator. As someone who has successfully made positive change at the UPA for youth I wish you all luck. The UPA exclusionary rules are the bottom line of this discussion.  If the goal is to grow UPA club leagues then this should be a pretty easy sell to the UPA.

A couple comments on your points:

Iím not calling for the league to replace tryouts. Iím calling for the league to lead into and work around tryouts. There have always been optional pre-tryout sessions and this would be similar but obviously required to show up twice.

The issue about time between the end of the spring season and the YCC tryouts is indeed short.  However, I believe the UPA requirement is only participating in two games over four weeks to be eligible with a minimum of four games being played in the league.  If you start a week after HS season ends and have twice a week league times there will be time before the tryouts. Also, are practices still once a week for YCC? If so put the league on days that donít conflict with YCC so that as tryouts progress players can use the league as fitness maintenance.  The key to winning in ultimate is having the best athletes. If YCC league is in the fall DiscNW is limiting their tryout pool though some players may still be eligibile from the prior spring 09. If I was a coach I would want the deepest talent pool possible. As an organizer I would want the most kids be given access. Both are accomplished by the late spring / early summer league.

And lastly you say ďOne last point about scheduling conflicts: the target audience for this new league is kids interested in playing on a YCC team. While many of these kids are multi-sport athletes, they are also the kids who are most likely to select Ultimate first if forced to choose.Ē

It is a very slippery slippery slope to make that statement as part of the thought process for fall being justified as the sole YCC qualifier. Looking at the YCC rosters and the players who have not just graduated I count four girls and three boys from NWS alone who are serious soccer players. (I coach NWS girls HS varsity soccer btw) I also count a number of other girls and boys who I know are important part of their fall soccer and XC teams at other schools. Why would DiscNW force them to choose?  That will tear those kids apart and their parents wonít be happy with DiscNW.

#7 2009-07-17 04:18 pm

Disc Warrior
Flick

I realized I didn't identify myself in my previous post. Sorry about that. I'm Alex Walker and my questions are motivated by the desire to see more youth playing ultimate in Western Washington.

I'm going to put aside the question of whether or not the club idea is the right idea for DiscNW. They need the youth club league to qualify for YCC (plus they get an automatic bid out of it) and the UPA wants to make it different then HS based ultimate (kind of like how youth club soccer is run, I would guess).

Most of the debate in response has centered on the impact the league would have. I support requiring every YCC hopeful to register in the league, because that will increase the numbers and the quality of play. Kids will have to choose, but that's a fact of life.

For the timing, the fall is good and bad. It sits on a dead zone in the ultimate calendar, but interferes with other high school athletics. Why not have the league in the summer, running in June and July before YCC? For the years 2009-2010, you would have to have two leagues, one in the fall and one in the summer, to maintain eligibility. Then for the following years, previous year's summer league would be the league that qualified Seattle for YCC. That would get rid of most of the issues. Rosters might have to be a little bigger to absorb vacations and such, but then the league could be positioned to take advantage of the enthusiasm felt by players at the end of spring league and would face less conflict from other sports. The YCC players would be part of it, the games would just be on nights that they didn't have practice. Also, does there have to be a mixed league for Seattle to get a bid in the Mixed division?

Seattle could also maintain two club leagues for youth, one in the fall and one in the summer, and then send two single gender teams in each division to YCC.

#8 2009-07-17 08:49 pm

kmarsh
Swilly

First, my disclaimer: I am not on any committees, sub-committees, nor have I ever been. My name is Kilian Marsh and I am a highschool junior so if I say anything that is not factually correct please forgive me.

I was wondering if you guys could clarify something for me and it has to do with our motives for switching to having our recruitment pool for YCC come from HS leagues or from a single club league. It wasnít really clear to me whether we would be making this switch because the competition to get bids at YCC is getting tough enough that we fear it will be difficult to secure a bid in the future or if the switch is being made in order to lighten the load that volunteers and organizers feel. Now I am certainly not trying to downsize the tremendous burden on the organizers because I do really appreciate all that they do to help us get to Minnesota. There is a third option and that is that this league is being created for the purpose of creating additional opportunities for kids to play.

I think that clarification on this point is important because it does have an effect on the mentality with which players will enter into this league.

Now if the league were to take place in the early summer then I think it will be seen (by most players) as a hoop that we must jump through in order to be eligible for YCC. Even the most diehard ultimate players would, I think, find little enthusiasm for a quick, rushed season in between their long spring school leagues and their upcoming YCC summer seasons. I donít see an early summer league being much more than a league where anyone who wants to play YCC signs up and does what is necessary to be eligible. All that being said the early summer league is probably the time when there will be the least number of conflicts for players (which I do see as a major benefit).

A fall league, I feel, does encourage more enthusiasm from a wider range of participants. Most kids will have had a nice summer break and probably would be interested in showing up for more reasons than that it is necessary for them to show up in order to be eligible for playing YCC the following summer. Now obviously a fall league has quite a few problems too, the largest of which is that there will be an abundance of conflicts with other sports. This topic has been well covered so far in this forum but I would like to place my own personal opinion:

The first priority should be trying to make sure that as few kids as possible will have to decide between their other sports and ultimate. It seems clear that the best option is a multiple league option with several leagues at different time throughout the year that all feed into one YCC bid. Unfortunately it sounds like this sort of comes down to what the UPA decidesÖbut anyways, my opinion:

At some point the sport of ultimate is going to have to stop scheduling itself around other sports. At some point it needs to stop being a secondary-sport and become a sport like soccer, basketball, football, baseball, etc. Maybe Ultimate does not yet have the support that would make this leap possible but I merely bring that up for consideration. Also, while yes there certainly would be some who would choose another sport over ultimate I think that in this particular case, that list would be fairly short; hereís my reasoning: Kids who are new to the sport of ultimate but have conflicts in the fall are still able to play in the spring with their school teams, and yes itís true that not all high school programs are that well developed but thatís a whole different discussion. The players who would really have a tough decision are the players who are experienced and really hoping to play YCC in the summer. Itís quite true that we would lose some players as Mike said, but what Wells said is also true; that the players playing YCC are the ones MOST LIKELY to choose ultimate. It sucks that kids will have to choose but like Alex Walker said, thatís a fact of life.

It comes down to what the priorities for this league are: maximum participation, quality of play, opportunity for new players, making players eligible, lightening load on YCC volunteers, etc. And at some point it has to be decided whatís more important. 

Both options have major pros and cons and frankly I am not entirely sure which one I like better. Thanks for those of you that managed to actually make it through this whole post.

oh and its really great to see that people care this much

-Kilian Marsh

#9 2009-07-18 12:12 am

Wizard0965
Scoober

Just to clarify and try to make things as clear as possible:
    The UPA decides YCC bids in tiers. Currently they are giving HS league's priority, which means that when an organization wants to send a team to YCC those that had HS leagues got priority over what the UPA considered at large bids. This means that if DiscNW (with a HS league) were to submit a bid after an organization without a HS league, DiscNW would be given priority in the bid allotment.
    This tier decision is now being shifted to Club leagues being first and all other bids (Including HS leagues) are considered at large bids. This means that over time as cities develop more club league programs, if DiscNW maintained only a HS league, other cities would be given priority regardless of the strength of the program.
-Rusty

#10 2009-07-22 05:11 pm

wynne.scherf
Layout D

Sorry, my FAQ is a bit delayed.  Will have it up ASAP!  Thanks for your patience.

Wynne Scherf
DiscNW

#11 2009-07-26 02:52 pm

weeznation
Push Pass

Here are the UPA rules as now written concerning League Requirements from a UPA Club League:
League Requirements

1. For the purposes of Team Selection for the YCC, leagues will be defined as follows.
   2. UPA Youth Club League
         1. UPA sanctioned
         2. Provides playing opportunities for youth in a youth-focused environment
         3. Open registration/enrollment
               1. Registration deadlines are acceptable, but must be communicated clearly and enforced consistently
               2. Limitations on player registration are acceptable for logistical reasons, but must be communicated clearly and enforced consistently
               3. Skill level of players may not be a factor in determining a playerís ability to register
         4. Competition and team makeup is not based on school affiliation
         5. Minimum of 4 league meetings (scheduled game days per team) over a minimum of 4 weeks

There is absolutely nothing here that says that the league is limited to one season. If the UPA interprets the rules to mean this then they should be written that way. But to go farther rule number 2.2 states "Provides playing opportunities for youth in a youth-focused environment" and rule 2.3 provides for "open registration/enrollment." This is all in the spirit of providing playing opportunities and expanding the number of UPA youth players. This is exactly what we are trying to do in Seattle.

The only argument against what we are doing would be a question about the possibility of Seattle or anyone trying to "game" the rules to get an advantage at the YCC tournament. That is a legitimate concern with any league/area, but the success of Seattle at YCC has been built on our ability to get a wide variety of players playing ultimate and to be inclusive and inviting to all the HS programs when it comes to putting together YCC teams. And when it comes to winning a tournament like YCC, areas that are inclusive and do the work to get youth players involved in the largest numbers deserve the advantages that come with that.

Do we have anyone from Seattle on the UPA Youth Advisory Committee these days? If so their input and interpretation should be here. And Bunny as a UPA board member where do you stand on this?

Thanks - Mike

#12 2009-07-28 07:20 pm

wynne.scherf
Layout D

Click here for Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ) about the league, including its relationship to the UPA Youth Club Championships.  Sorry for the delay!  I read through everyone's posts a few times, and I think this answers all the questions posed, but if you aren't satisfied with an answer, or if you have new questions, email me at youth.director@discnw.org and I will be glad to revise or provide more detail.

Wynne Scherf
DiscNW

#13 2009-08-07 12:24 pm

UPA Northwest Board Rep
Blade

weeznation :

Do we have anyone from Seattle on the UPA Youth Advisory Committee these days?

Information about the UPA Youth Advisory Council can be found here:
http://www.upa.org/programs/youthdev/organizers

UPA :

The Youth Advisory Council is a ongoing group that works directly with the Director of Youth Development in proposing policy and developing future youth programs. The members of the Youth Advisory Council meet annual in Boulder, CO and bring a diverse range of experiences and expertise to the table. While the group may only meet in person once a year, they provide continuous feedback and ideas and are in constant communication with each other, as well as their local communities.

The YAC consists of the Regional Youth Directors as well as 2 additional at-large seats. The current members are: Miranda Roth (Seattle, WA), Catherine Greenwald (Park City, UT), Ryan Thompson (Columbia, NJ), Luke Johnson (Chicago, IL), Lindsey Hack (Raleigh, NC) and David Vatz (Pittsburgh, PA).

weeznation :

Bunny as a UPA board member where do you stand on this?

Like the members of the Youth Advisory Council, my role as a member of the Board of Directors is mainly to work at the policy level.

In general, I support the purpose of the Youth Club Championships as a means to promote the growth of club-based teams.  Earlier this year I supported the changes to the YCC regarding bid allocations.  Wynne wrote about this in the Club High School Hat League FAQ.  More information is available on page 4 of this pdf file.  Basically, the changes opens up the tournament to more teams.  Additionally, at-large YCC teams are encouraged to develop club programs.

DiscNW's plans (to have a Youth Club Hat League in the fall and another instance of that league in the spring - players who participate in either should be eligible for a 2010 YCC team) clearly fall within the spirit of the UPA rules, and by my reading, the letter of them, as well.  As a Board Member it is not my place to interfere with the operational decisions of UPA staff, however, I am confident that the UPA will work with DiscNW to the best of their abilities.

-William "Bunny" Bartram
Note: I am a member of the Board of Directors of the UPA. This is a personal message and is does not represent the opinions of the Board or its other members.

Last edited by UPA Northwest Board Rep (2009-08-07 01:19 pm)

#14 2009-08-13 02:32 pm

wynne.scherf
Layout D

UPDATE:

UPA rules allow players from the previous yearís league or the current yearís session of that league (if it happens before YCC) to participate at YCC.  Furthermore, the UPA has agreed that it is acceptable to shift a league from one season in its first year to a different season in its second year, in order to determine which season will be the most well-attended.  Thus, DiscNW can and will run the same league in the fall of 2009 and in the late spring/early summer of 2010, and players from each of those sessions will be eligible to try out for the 2010 YCC teams.

This is good news for 2010 YCC, but shifting the club league's season between fall and spring/summer is not a strategy that we can continue to use every year in good faith.  There is flexibility in the rules to allow for experimentation to find the "right" season for a club league, but it wouldn't be acceptable for us to abuse that flexibility by changing the season every year.  Luckily, there are potential changes on the horizon that may solve this problem.  The UPA Youth Development Director, Meredith Tosta, tells us that the UPA Youth Advisory Council will, at its fall meeting, consider a new YCC eligibility policy which would allow bids to be based on multiple leagues which are encompassed within an overarching organization (like DiscNW).  I'll let you know when I hear the outcome of that discussion.

In the meantime, the FAQ have been updated accordingly, details about the league are available, and registration is now open for the new Youth Club Draft Hat League!

Wynne Scherf
DiscNW

Board footer