DiscNW Community Bulletin Boards

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-17 10:23 pm

uwJames
High Release

Nathan Hale Girls Win Westerns Again!

According to the UPA score reporter they took the title with an 12-11 win over NWS.

Recaps: http://hs-westerns2009.upa.org/results/girls

Last edited by uwJames (2009-05-17 10:33 pm)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all." -Douglas Adams

#2 2009-05-19 03:18 pm

Fozz
Flick

Re: Nathan Hale Girls Win Westerns Again!

12-11 doesn't even begin to describe the insanity of the game.  of course the UPA write up doesn't either.  and of course i'm a little too busy to write one myself.  maybe someone else will...

#3 2009-05-20 07:32 am

uwJames
High Release

Don't toy with me like this! Hey, if you post a proper write-up I'll buy you a b--- beverage.

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all." -Douglas Adams

#4 2009-06-02 01:52 pm

Fozz
Flick

here you go james.  hale girls' sunday at westerns:

disclaimer: my memory is most likely faulty.  and if you think i'm disrespectful to anyone, you're wrong.  or at least wrong about the intent...

after an impressive win verse cathedral (13-3 in only 50 minutes & cathedral was 4-0 entering the game) in the final pool play round on sunday the hale girls have won their pool and rolled their way into quarters.  though we had made it this far i really didn't think we were going to win westerns.  after all, we only managed to get 13 girls to MN, 2 of those were sick, 1 of those with mono, and minor injuries and aches were all round.  meanwhile on the other side of the bracket northwest had their usual 20ish girls and no one looked unusually broken, though i'm sure there were plenty of minor injuries and aches on their side too.  aches or not, northwest had beat us in league 11-10 (we had a larger squad with a couple of solid players who weren't at westerns) and more recently at states 10-4 (when we were more rested).  we had played 4 games to the hard cap saturday because of the insane wind (30+ mph or more, i didn't measure).  freaking windball...  though the girls impressively fought to get 3 wins out of those 4 games after 3 of the 4 wind flips went against them, i was thinking all the ultimate on day one might make day two a little more difficult.  if we both made it to finals, it would be hale vs northwest in our 8th game of the weekend, but only their 7th. 

there may have been a bet made.  if you want details talk to someone who knows...  but my reasoning on the bet was sound, though perhaps a little absentminded.  internally i was thinking, hale won't beat a fresher, apparently healthier northwest team who had more depth, good players, beaten us twice already, the last time soundly, and so on and so forth.  after all, i've seen i fair amount of youth ultimate.  i didn't like to admit it, but i was thinking northwest was going to beat us in the finals. 

hale marches onto the finals, as does northwest.  the hale girls have a team huddle pregame and apparently they all decided to peak at the right time (good choice).  the game starts...  i know, the hale girls can play, but some the plays made were freaking ridiculous.  callie was out of her mind and jumped out of the building a couple of times.  intense game from both sides.  multiple players made d's, grabs, and skies you wouldn't have expected from many college players.  the key to hale's early success was the solid movement and good throws by the hale offense verse a tricky and shifting northwest zone.  solid work by the entirety of the angry seven for hale.  of course it was good to be lucky on occasion too.  all said, hale takes a 4-0 lead, then 6-1, and takes half at 8-3. 

hale's looking good, my bet is looking bad.  the girls are playing great and perhaps getting a little too confident about the win coming to them.  after all, there are still bubbles...  the second half gets a little bumpy as the puppy starts to bite back.  i think it was because northwest switched to man d and the hale girls were running out of gas. 

still hale gets it to 11-7 game to 12.  seems like a lock, right?  well, turns out northwest has other ideas (shouldn't be surprising northwest is a very good team.  they hadn't lost in over a year?) and hale starts to play really tight and exhausted ultimate (because the girls are).  hale had some good chances, some near misses, some forced looks, even a chance or two in the endzone, but couldn't punch in the winner against the tough northwest defense.  eventually, northwest gets it to 11-11, double game point.  the top 8 or so hale girls (7 at a time of course) have played the last 3 points at full throttle, but they have to go again.  on the final play (3rd o-chance of the point?) it's put into the endzone (rachel?).  a defender is there, so kia can't come down with it, but neither can the defender, it's just tipped.  fortunately, ambi's on the scene (being a disc magnet and all).  full layout grab off of the deflection for the championship!  the disc was just inches from the ground!  mob scene/dog pile of high schoolers in the endzone. 

great game by both squads. 

all typos are intentional?  or should i just claim that?  ugh...

#5 2009-06-03 01:32 am

uwJames
High Release

Sweet write-up Fozz. Sounds like a classic game.  Let me know when you finish the video. ;-)

Board footer