DiscNW Community Bulletin Boards

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-16 11:18 am

manzell
Greatest
Website

Guide to Getting a Team

So,
we've seen a plethora of posts (mostly from new folks) wanting to be on a team.

Perhaps the more long-term members can post some wisdom of how to find a team. It's been a while since I've played in Seattle, so maybe my info is out of date, but things can't have changed that much, have they?

So, here goes - feel free to chime in:

I - if you're new to town, but experienced: Pickup is the best way to meet players. You'll have to chat people up, and pretty much ask them if their team is practicing or needs any additional players. You'll need to suck it up and get by the mythical "Seattle Freeze" if that bothers you.

II - If you're a beginner player, pickup isn't always the best scenario. In this case, Hat League (Verns, Summer Hat, Fall Hat/Draft, whatever) is your best friend. Captains are usually selected on their ability to work with new players and will try their best to plug you in to the greater ultimate community.

III - if you're a beginner, but cant run, jump, catch, or throw, there can still be a place for you on an ultimate team. The key here is to run really hard (albeit slowly), make ridiculous layout bids with zero chance of getting the d, tell funny jokes/heckle well, and otherwise be a good teammate. The best way is to not play many points, and get your practice in, well, at practice or pick-up/hat league. Eventually you'll get good enough to feel comfortable taking points on your own team.

For the most part, all beginners have to pay some dues... this can mean a few cycles of playing hat leagues and pickup before getting on a 'real' team. It's probably for the best, as different teams have different characters and some will fit you better than others. This isn't always apparent at first glance, so time spent infiltrating the Seattle ultimate community will be worth it.

"This is why I'm hot."

#2 2008-02-04 11:30 am

bunny
Executive Director
Website

Re: Guide to Getting a Team

Another bump of this helpful post and some info that was on a front page message that has been displaced by other news.....

A good way to start playing ultimate is by playing lots and lots of pickup! That's how almost all ultimate players start. That's how you develop the skills, stamina, contacts and friends that will help you in the game. Pickup games, locations and times are listed on the DiscNW pickup page.

Also, every season in Seattle has a league. And there are plenty of northwest-area tournaments, especially in the summer. Requirements for joining these leagues and tournaments vary. Some require that you be part of a team, others are "hat" (everyone can participate) and others are a draft. Sometimes, they're a hybrid.  Usually, event hosts will have a web page of their own that DiscNW will link to.

If you want to get on a team: network, network, network! Or, if you're feeling well connected, you can start your own team. Play lots of pickup, and make friends on the field. Ask around for new teams forming.  Post a note on the DiscNW Bulletin Boards.  Seattle has lots of ultimate players, especially men, and more than can play in a single league. You'll need to take an active role in this!

William Bartram
Executive Director, DiscNW

#3 2008-02-20 10:54 pm

keroberts
Swilly

bump

And also, to add to Manzell's I above:
Hat leagues are also a good way for players new to the area to get integrated into the community, if you're not looking for super-competitive ultimate.  They're not just for beginners, and lots of folks recruit from their hat teams to fill out their "real" teams' rosters.

#4 2008-05-12 11:00 am

bry335
Swilly

I'm graduating in a week and moving from Philly to Seattle. I'm hoping to join a co-ed summer league and was wondering if there are any teams in need of a player. I can throw well forehand and backhand, I'm fast, and can jump pretty high, if this information is helpful at all. Let me know what you think and maybe I can at least come out and practice with your team for a day and you can judge for yourself? E-mail is: maliken@sas.upenn.edu. Thanks!
-Bryan

#5 2009-04-17 03:07 pm

lena
Blade

Thanks for all the advice getting on a team.  My problem is a lot like the poster below (Bryan); I'm coming in from out of town to live in Seattle.  I'd love to be part of a team even before I go out and play pick-up.  I'm happy to discuss my stats; I've been playing ultimate for 10 years now and am a veteran of many teams and tournaments, handle and cut, have played club on/off, and am really looking forward to summer league play.  If your team needs a woman, please let me know!
Yours,
Lena DeTar

#6 2010-02-22 09:06 am

bunny
Executive Director
Website

Bump.... Spring League is coming soon, and players are looking for teams.  Check out the advice in Manzell's message (1st in this thread) for some good advice.  Here are a few more tips.....

A good way to start playing ultimate is by playing lots and lots of pickup! That's how almost all ultimate players start. That's how you develop the skills, stamina, contacts and friends that will help you in the game. Pickup games, locations and times are listed on the DiscNW pickup page.

Also, every season in Seattle has a league. And there are plenty of northwest-area tournaments, especially in the summer. Requirements for joining these leagues and tournaments vary. Some require that you be part of a team, others are "hat" (everyone can participate) and others are a draft. Sometimes, they're a hybrid.  Usually, event hosts will have a web page of their own that DiscNW will link to.

If you want to get on a team: network, network, network! Or, if you're feeling well connected, you can start your own team. Play lots of pickup, and make friends on the field. Ask around for new teams forming.  Post a note on the DiscNW Bulletin Boards.  Seattle has lots of ultimate players, especially men, and more than can play in a single league. You'll need to take an active role in this!

William Bartram
Executive Director, DiscNW

#7 2010-12-13 11:25 am

wynne.scherf
Layout D

Bump!  I've noticed lots of posts recently from people looking for a team.

Wynne Scherf
DiscNW
Director of Youth Operations

#8 2013-04-14 06:44 am

sgalagan
Swilly

Hey all,

I'm a former Seattlite moving back to town in late May looking to jump on a summer league team. I have 6 years of experience, played in college and am tall! Looking to get to know people and get back into the game after some time moving around and abroad. Email me if you need/want someone! sgalagan@gmail.com

Sean Galagan

#9 2015-04-28 12:18 pm

NotAustin
Swilly

Hey Y'all,

I'm a second year college club player looking for a summer team in Seattle. I'm 6'4" with a 36" vert, d-line cutter. I haven't spent any significant amount of time in Seattle since I left for school in the midwest, so I'm looking for a team that is social yet can help me stay in shape for the college season. Shoot me an email at austinambrose1@gmail.com

Thanks!
Austin

#10 2016-05-14 04:03 am

lbarons
Swilly

Hi all,
I am working at Microsoft for the summer and was looking for a team to play league with this summer! I handle (and sometimes cut) for Michigan's Flywheel (just finished my 4th year out of 5), and we are about to go to Nationals. I am a strong handler and am also usually an iso cutter to start a play or for a score. I played club and league last summer in Connecticut and am planning on playing pickup in Seattle too. Let me know if any teams need a strong girl! My email is lbarons@umich.edu.
~Leah

#11 2016-11-19 08:15 am

Lostintexas
Swilly

I'm an old man (41) in just ok shape.  I can outrun my 12 year old son in a sprint but not in a 5k (he's pretty fast).  I played ultimate intramural in college and want to start up again.  My forehand throw is not my go to, but I'm decent at can jam. 

So, it sounds like I fall in the category of not-really-good-enough for pickup.  Does that mean I should wait till summer to join a hat team?

#12 2016-11-19 05:11 pm

AndyO
Scoober

Are you going to get in better game shape and get a better forehand by not playing pickup or league between now and next summer?  Go for it - pickup games have players with all levels of skill, and playing hat league is a good way to reconnect with the ultimate scene and connect with an established team.  Go for it!

used to be fast, now I'm just old

Board footer