You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Potlatch
  •  » potlatch music..."fresh and clean" or "old and dirty (and fatherless)"

#1 2006-05-10 08:49 am

professordirekt
Blade

potlatch music..."fresh and clean" or "old and dirty (and fatherless)"

i hear the music at potlatch will be super fresh this year. 

i also hear that dj sobrain is the man. 

what can we expect?  what do "the people" want?

jashar

www.professordirekt.com

#2 2006-05-11 09:00 am

jcw
Air Bounce

Re: potlatch music..."fresh and clean" or "old and dirty (and fatherless)"

Suicidal Tendencies
Wire Train
Dick Dale

How's that for an odd couple?  Seems like past potlaches have been a little light on the heavy stuff.  The college players put their videos together with rap metal (phooey) so there has to be interest in some rockin' music.  Dick Dale is right with the Potlatch vibe.  Wire Train, I just threw that in to mix it up.

Later,
Jason

#3 2006-05-11 09:38 am

professordirekt
Blade

next time i am at the record store, i will get some dick dale.  listen for it on the fields.  i may have to even wear my signed dick dale t-shirt now!

#4 2006-05-11 01:34 pm

Edward
Push Pass

I want some Clash.  and Michael Franti.  and Jesus Christ Superstar.

Thanks.

#5 2006-05-12 12:23 pm

professordirekt
Blade

you joke, but i will bring my Andrew Lloyd Webber collection if i have to.

#6 2006-05-12 02:28 pm

Edward
Push Pass

I do joke, Professa.  but Hosanna would be the preferred track.

#7 2006-05-13 09:19 am

Getty
High Release

Please leave your rap rekkids that liberally drop the F-bomb and the all the graphic descriptions of what they be doin' to their ho's at home.  You guys, well actually just one guy,  really pissed off a lot of parents with that stuff last year and came real close to getting your speaker cables cut by an irate dad after many folks requested that you change the tunes one afternoon.  Except for DJ Clueless y'alls was rawkin'! 

Hosanna Heysanna Sanna Sanna HO!  And play some Herb Alpert, Ramones  and Velvet Underground while you're at it.

Panda...it's what's for dinner.

#8 2006-05-14 07:51 pm

uwJames
High Release

We want former ultimate player and current KEXP DJ, John "In the Morning" Richards to do a special radio/web broadcast live from the fields.  Make it so!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all." -Douglas Adams

#9 2006-05-15 09:00 am

waetzig
Swilly

Ain't nothing like that ole' time rock and roll. Keep it clean, it IS advertised as  a "FAMILY reunion" afterall.

#10 2006-05-16 07:18 pm

Biz
Backhand

We wants some roots manuva and dizzy rascal!

#11 2006-05-25 08:01 am

DCExpat
Flick

James McMurtry - Choctaw Bingo

Best family reunion song ever.

#12 2006-05-25 03:11 pm

franknam
Air Bounce

John of KEXP fame actually plays with my team right now.  Does someone in DiscNW want me to ask him?

And there's nothing wrong with hip-hop in general.  Some Roots and Common and old school Black Star and Tribe would be sweet.  Public Enemy's Bomb Squad still has some of the most powerful beats out there too.

I know Jashar hears me.

Support Youth Ultimate - Be a Coach!

#13 2006-05-31 12:59 pm

erich

DJ from last year, if you are listening, please do not take to heart  the other lame-o's that knocked your selection.  It was amazing.  period.  start to finish. all day and until the early evening. EVERY day of the tourney. It's all about the funk and hip hop with a cleverly placed reggae and rock tune here and there, then getting to the more upbeat dancy electronica as the night progresses. 

I can count at least a dozen times when i was on the line with my team and we were all tired and not really feeling like another point when all of a sudden, BAM!! Some HOT jam comes out.  Next thing you know the whole team is dancing on the line.  The other team in dancing on the line. I have never been to a tourney that had music good enough to get people moving like that on the THIRD DAY! This is what potlatch is all about, having a good time, and the music was one of the most critical aspects to this. 

I'm sorry to say, but "john in the morning" appearances will not inspire people to dance.  I'm sure he's a cool guy, but the music that he plays every morning on KEXP rehashed at a frisbee tourney will inspire people to look for the nearest latte stand.  we do not want this.  we want a dance party.  and let's face it, if you're a dad and you're bringing your kids to an ulty tournament, you had better expect some profanity and some nudity, otherwise it aint an ulty tournament. who's feelin me on that one?

People!!! Do not underestimate the power of lame music to make a party fizzle!!!!!!!

#14 2006-06-07 06:57 am

professordirekt
Blade

good lookin out frank and erich!

y'know...i always think..."what would be the best music for kids?" before i play an event like potlatch...

...perhaps dr. hook, or some cannibal corpse...maybe even some old some old dirty bukowski poetry over sultry downtempo break beats...

...no!  seriously people, i always find it interesting that when many folks think about negative or at best questionable lyrics, RAP is always the first head to the chopping block.  no one ever mentions artists like jimmy hendrix for such content, though his music (which i love) is both sexual and laden with drug references.  i'll bet no one would bat an eye if i played the dead's europe '72 tour (which i will have with me) but i'll bet they would frown on the idea of their own children consuming even one tenth of the drugs taken by Jerry Garcia and crew.

my personal stance: i love rap.  i'm not going to deny it.  i'm proud to be a lover of hip hop music.  the perceptual difference is this: i am no more a lover of socially dysfunctional hip hop as the average rock or pop fan is a lover of britney spears or limp bizkit (both clearly lame...).  We are all fed crap by our radios, no matter our preferred genre; however, it is our personal perceptory shortcomings that cause us to be so thoroughly convinced that radio hiphop is the ONLY hiphop/rap, when we know in our heart of hearts that most musical genres contain both good and bad artists, both positive and negative messages.

that said: will lil jon himself be performing at potlatch, slinging his crunk juice cup from side to side while ghetto booty'd ho's cling to his baggy outfit?...no, of course not. 

last year, i thought the music was very balanced.  thanks to coop and tim's hard work coordinating dj's, there was actually quite a bit of variety from funk, to old school, to house and breakbeats, to rock, to 80's party jams...i personally played all of the above genres throughout the three days, and also purposely left my more...questionable...joints at home. 

so, i appreciate the concern for the ears of our youth, but let's also remember to keep our minds open, and avoid buying into the negative image of rap/hiphop, which is, sadly, perpetuated by clear channel, mtv, and other groups who lack the desire to see the true nature and complexity of hiphop/rap brought to the forefront of our world.

peace,

professor direkt

#15 2006-06-07 08:48 am

leftydisc
Air Bounce

Getty didn't say that he didn't want to hear any Rap at all, he simply said he didn't want to hear any Rap that liberally drop the F-bombs and overtly sexual references.  Frankly, considering Potlatch is held at a (relatively) public location and the music is pumped out at high volume, I don't think his is an unreasonable request.  As for Hendrix, the Dead, etc., he'd probably object to the Stones' "Star Star" or the Hendrix/Morrison live bootleg of "F.H.I.T.A" just as strongly.  It's the message, not the medium, that he's objecting to.

#16 2006-06-07 08:28 pm

Getty
High Release

Professor, I'm sure your knowledge of music is substantial.  You are a PhD, eh?  I believe in the 1st amendment.  I also believe that what was played mid-day the second day last year was total crap, obscene, and generally auditorially worthless, but I defend DJ Clueless' right to play it until it crossed a certain line.  If I'd been at a club where that stuff was played I'd of voted with my feet and split.  Many others on the closest field to the speakers would have done the same.  We played our game since it was scheduled right there, had a pretty good time in spite of what was being cranked at us (players on both teams agreed it was pretty bad) and we were delighted when the DJ shift change happened.

Thank you DRC for saving the afternoon for the huge majority of us who have musical taste.  I never said rap was crap and there is a bit out there that even I, someone who embraces a good lyric and MELODY, like enough to have in my own stacks.  If you're spinning, play for those who are close by and clearly digging what you're doing.
Remember, you're supposed to be entertaining the masses.  If the masses ain't being entertained you might want to change the program.  I like opera.  I like Broadway musicals.  I like the Sex Pistols.  I like The Residents.  I like jazz, even the acid variety.  Hip hop be happening when the message is mandatory.  I even like *gasp* country!  I won't ask you, Tim, DRC, Coop or anyone else to pander to my interests but use a little sense when you're in control of all those watts.  Star phubcker indeed...

-- Getty

#17 2006-06-13 10:37 am

professordirekt
Blade

fellow posters,

to be clear, i am NOT advocating socially irresposible hiphop, or music of any kind.  i am NOT advocating hiphop that sends negative messages to women and to our youth, or that promotes drug culture.  i hope that you can see by my previous post that my love of hiphop is for positive, upbeat, nondiscriminating, conscious hiphop: Jurrassic 5, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Sugar Hill, Ozomatli, Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Quannum Collective, MF Doom, The Roots, seattle's own Blue Scholars and others.  in my previous post, i was merely mentioning the tendency folks have to look to hiphop as the only source, or at least the main source, of irresposible music. 

personally, i played absolutely NO unedited tracks last year, and i also kept my record choices free of overt sexual references and "gangster-like" messages.  i also played a variety of music besides hip hop including 70's/80's funk and rock and also house music.  Plus, there was a variety of artists playing music throughout the three day span, which added to that array of sound.  i was honestly writing before just to assuage the (justified) fears of some folks.  potlatch is a friendly, family environment where everyone's goal is to enjoy the bond of this sport we all share and love.  i agree that we should avoid such negative music...my point is that we should avoid ALL such music, regardless of genre, and not look to pinpoint certain music as having negative messages. 

much love and respect to all,

jashar rentz

aka

professor direkt

#18 2006-06-13 09:18 pm

Getty
High Release

You, sir, are giving the people what they want!  Excellent job.  I hope I have a game near by when you're spinning. 

-- Getty

#19 2006-06-16 02:23 pm

professordirekt
Blade

thanks bro...i just do my best!

hey...ps.  HERE'S A SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION!!  If you want a good place to hang out and here some good music and do some danicin', i put on a monthly event at Cafe Metropolitan in capitol hill (olive and boyleston...1701 olive way...www.cafmet.com)

the event happens the first saturday of every month (except 7/1...that's the potlatch party) and is called "Absinthe!" because the bar actually serves the sellable form of Absinthe...without the wormwood. 

anyway, check my web site for the info (www.professordirekt.com) or my myspace page (www.myspace.com/professordirekt).

recap:  first saturday of every month!  Cafe Met.  "Absinthe!".  Professor Direkt.  Featuring Dj Heni.  $4 shots!!

see ya...

direkt

#20 2006-06-17 05:11 pm

Alcatraz

We Want:

JAMES BROWN

P-FUNK

MANU CHAO

THE ROOTS

RICK JAMES

GEORGE CLINTON

Any funk or grooves that make ya want to shake your ass obsessively!

• Index
  •  » Potlatch
  •  » potlatch music..."fresh and clean" or "old and dirty (and fatherless)"

Board footer