DiscNW Community Bulletin Boards

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-24 09:41 pm

appleshampoo
Air Bounce

Waitlists

So, a bunch of guys always get waitlisted for hat leagues.  This is inevitable and I understand it.  But what I don't understand is not getting off the list, then getting an invitation to play with one of the teams because "we're going to be short on guys."  I was the 5th male for said team (they did clear it with the other captain and we lost anyway).

So my question or general comment is, who are all of these guys that sign up and never show up?  Is there a better way to solve this problem, other than just adding more guys to the teams (maybe 9 or 10)?  Maybe give priority to guys who have a history of showing up consistently?  That would be nice but is probably practically impossible.

It just seems really lame to me.  Apologies if I'm just rehashing the same old hash.  I'm new here :-).

Also known as Walnut, or Philbrook

#2 2006-09-25 06:36 am

Woodiepaddler
Air Bounce

Re: Waitlists

It might have been due to sectionals happening this weekend, if you are talking about yesterday.

#3 2006-09-25 11:52 pm

appleshampoo
Air Bounce

Woodiepaddler :

It might have been due to sectionals happening this weekend, if you are talking about yesterday.

Yeah I realized today that was probably the main culprit this past weekend.  In general though, it seems to happen often.  My summer hat league team had an average of 1.5 male subs throughout the season...anyway...whatever...

#4 2006-09-26 12:05 am

chrisburke
Push Pass

appleshampoo :

My summer hat league team had an average of 1.5 male subs throughout the season...anyway...whatever...

That sounds ideal!

#5 2006-09-26 06:52 am

Woodiepaddler
Air Bounce

I bet if I was on his team, I would be considered the 1/2...

#6 2006-09-26 08:50 am

heydylan
Push Pass

Aw don't sell yourself short....you're at least a 5/8th!

#7 2006-09-26 10:56 am

bryan
Push Pass

This was a huge problem with my spring league team.  We had two games where only four people from my team showed up.

The solution is really for people to stop being such asshats.

#8 2006-09-26 01:30 pm

DCExpat
Flick

bryan :

Not having asshats participate is the idea solution.

Another good solution is to sign up sooner.  Historically, early signer-uppers got placed on teams while late signer-uppers (like you apparently, applehead) didn't. It is elegant in its simplicity.

Paul P

#9 2006-09-26 07:29 pm

jcw
Air Bounce

Are you back in the correct WA now?

Later,
Jason

#10 2006-09-26 08:23 pm

andressp
High Release

On the flip side, expanding the rosters sucks too.  The main reason I don't play hat leagues any more is that ususally the roster had so many guys (10+) that PT was usually low.  IE why come out if you can't play much and there are other opportunities to play that cost less and provide assurances of PT...

If DiscNW was a business, the obvious solution would be to sell more product (create more leagues) or raise the prices to join the league.  IE maximize profit.  The mens leagues are ok, but don't seem to be a very popular option.  Raising the price would work, but I don't think it really fits with DiscNW's missions and I doubt it is something most of us would like to see done either (IE start excluding folks based on income).

#11 2006-09-26 10:35 pm

appleshampoo
Air Bounce

chrisburke :

appleshampoo :

My summer hat league team had an average of 1.5 male subs throughout the season...anyway...whatever...

That sounds ideal!

Chris, I guess I can't complain, since we did win the championship...but I think 3 male subs/2 female subs is ideal for a 4/3 league.

bryan :

Bryan, I think you've hit upon the solution to pretty much all of the world's problems...now if only we could enforce that somehow...

DCExpat :

Another good solution is to sign up sooner.  Historically, early signer-uppers got placed on teams while late signer-uppers (like you apparently, applehead) didn't. It is elegant in its simplicity.

Yep, I waffled on whether I really wanted to play, and by the time I decided it was too late and now I really want to play.  Solution=don't be a waffler like me.

#12 2006-09-27 05:49 am

DCExpat
Flick

jcw :

Are you back in the correct WA now?

Later,
Jason

Nope, still in DC.  For the foreseeable future really. I return annually for Potlatch if you can't stand to be apart from me.

Why don't you get the Dahl game going again, Jason?  It is sad that it fell apart so.

#13 2006-09-27 07:56 am

manzell
Greatest
Website

Dahl is the Rucker Park of ultimate, one of the true homes of the sport!  It definitely CANNOT continue to be disc-less.

"This is why I'm hot."

#14 2006-09-27 10:44 am

DCExpat
Flick

manzell :

Dahl is the Rucker Park of ultimate, one of the true homes of the sport!  It definitely CANNOT continue to be disc-less.

I understand that they play Goaltimate or DiscHoops or something there but, you know...

...ick...

Paul P
Asking for it

#15 2006-09-29 12:35 pm

appleshampoo
Air Bounce

There has been Goaltimate at Dahl...it is fun but not as fun as regular Ultimate, IMO.

Board footer