DiscNW Community Bulletin Boards

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-07 04:34 pm

kristian_mickelson
Hammer

Pick Continuation?

Dear Esteemed Rules Gurus
I was hoping I could get some clarification on the pick continuation.  We have some new players on our team and we keep getting burned by this situation.

Example:

I am defending a cutter in the stack; I am picked so I scream, "PICK!".  My guy and I stop. 
A lot of my team stops too because they hear me scream, "PICK!" (I do mean scream as I commonly get laughed at for yelling so loud). 
This is where the problem happens, my teammates who have stopped because they heard "PICK!", but their player keeps cutting deep.  The thrower then throws to the unguarded person for a deep throw. 

The times where the throw goes off a second later, I'm always like well that's bum luck.  However, they have been a couple of times where the throw has gone of 2-4 seconds later.  This is where I get annoyed because the other team then says it wasn't involved, but I feel like itís them taking a bit advantage of the SOTG.  Now I understand if the throw in that situation isn't completed, it's a turn, but it's usually completed because the person is unguarded.   

My question is what is suppose to happen in this situation?  Is there a time limit to how long after the call a continuation can happen, or how many throws can be made? 

Most importantly, how should I teach my team what to do so we don't give up an easy throw after a call?

Thanks as always for your wonderful insight.

k

"There's atleast One Happy Hour Each Day"

#2 2015-08-08 09:00 pm

leftydisc
Air Bounce

Re: Pick Continuation?

First of all, on any pick call remind yourself and your team not to stop playing until the play is actually resolved.  Say it over and over and over again - run down every thrown disc whether on O or D.  The rules specifically say that a defender cannot claim that play was affected because they stopped playing D at the sound of the pick call (XVI.K). 

The continuation rule applies to one throw only, so there cannot be a sequence of throws after a pick call.  As a few examples:  1) if the disc is in the air at the time of the pick call, the play continues until the outcome of that throw only; 2) if the disc is in possession of the thrower, the play continues until the thrower either acknowledges the call or, if they throw, the outcome of that throw, only.

The rule can get dicey because the thrower must acknowledge the call; this is a bit of a grey area, so I'd advise you and your team to echo every pick call loudly and repeatedly - especially the marker - while continuing to play D until the thrower acknowledges the call.  If the marker is yelling "pick!!" in the thrower's face, it's pretty hard for him/her to claim they didn't know there was a call.  The rules address a prolonged delay in acknowledging the call under Etiquette rule XIX.F:  "if the marker has made reasonable efforts to notify the thrower of the call and believes the thrower has not stopped player promptly enough, the marker may call violation under this rule and a completed pass will come back to the thrower..."

The continuation rule is discussed under XVI.C in the 11th Edition Rules:  http://www.usaultimate.org/resources/of … rules.aspx

I'd further recommend that you - and as many of your team mates as you can convince to - read the rules on a semi-regular basis.

Last edited by leftydisc (2015-08-08 09:17 pm)

#3 2015-08-10 09:56 am

kristian_mickelson
Hammer

Thanks for your response.

"There's atleast One Happy Hour Each Day"

#4 2015-08-27 12:39 pm

jcw
Air Bounce

I never liked the "thrower acknowleges" part of that rule.

Board footer