DiscNW Community Bulletin Boards

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-30 03:40 pm

jcw
Air Bounce

New Date for Potlatch 2016?

I just got done reading the Triple Crown Tour announcement from USAU. I recall being sorely disappointed at last year's Potlatch when the final was lackluster and few fans were even watching.

Do you think DiscNW should pick a new date in 2016 for Potlatch in order to attract the best players back to the tournament?

Regards,
Jason

#2 2015-07-08 06:20 pm

manzell
Greatest
Website

Re: New Date for Potlatch 2016?

No. 4th of July is Potlatch's corner and has been and always will be.

"This is why I'm hot."

#3 2015-07-10 09:02 am

bunny
Executive Director
Website

Yes, it's a bummer that Potlatch doesn't attract as many world class players as it used to. 

The July 4 weekend is great for Potlatch for a few reasons.... it's the only weekend that we can use the fields at 60 Acres, and it's one of the few 3-day weekends in the summer.  Without the great fields and the long weekend, Potlatch wouldn't quite be the same. 

And keep in mind that there are lots of other tournaments throughout the summer that attract players of all skill levels - Poultry Days, Wildwood, Sandblast, MARS, Masters Championships, Kleinman, and other Triple Crown Tour events to name a few.  Moving Potlatch would conflict with other events and wouldn't necessarily solve the problem.

Are there other ways to attract more top level players?  Are there other ways to make Potlatch better?

Oh, and the TENTATIVE dates for Potlatch 2016 are July 2-4.

William Bartram
Executive Director, DiscNW

#4 2015-07-10 04:48 pm

appleshampoo
Air Bounce

Yeah, I come to Potlatch to play, not watch. Not to be glib, but I don't really care about the level of talent in the A pool. After my last game on Sunday (or Monday as the case may be) the first thing on my mind is getting my tent packed up and getting a cool shower back at home.

Not having a 3-day Potlatch would be a shame.

Also known as Walnut, or Philbrook

#5 2015-08-27 12:46 pm

jcw
Air Bounce

Thanks for the reply Bunny. It's obviously a harder problem than I originally considered. The growth of the sport is going to make it hard to find a date that won't conflict. Tradition should be the overriding concern.

I do like to watch. I've only got to play a couple times but I do look forward to seeing some good mixed play at Potlatch even if I'm not on a roster. Bummer.

#6 2015-09-01 08:50 am

kongc
Scoober

Great discussion regarding tradition and event logistics. Speaking of event logistics, the Tournament Directors met last night and planning for Potlatch 2016 has officially started and we already have several action items underway. Let the countdown to Potlatch XXVII begin!

Board footer