DiscNW Community Bulletin Boards

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-06 03:18 pm

chrisburke
Push Pass

Fall Geographic Hat League

The schedule is up, the rosters will be up later today.

We managed 14 teams.  6 x 14 women signed up.  There are over 100 men on the wait list.  This is down from last year's 18 teams, when we had 24 more women sign up, as well as a similar huge number of men.

A mens' league each season might be a good idea.  No matter how many women sign up, there are always far more men than the coed hat leagues can support.

Nearly everybody is playing on a team from their neighborhood.  Some of the last minute signers-up will have to play for another neighborhood, so that we could achieve balance.  Leaving aside the 100+ extra men, most neighborhoods appear to have a nice balance of men and women.  Exceptions are Redmond, which had way more men than women sign up, and Wallingford, where the numbers were reversed.

Every team will get 8 games, followed by 3 weeks of playoffs.  Since we have 14 teams, the playoff format is not obvious, but it's safe to say if your team finishes in the top 8, you will have a chance at the championship.

The early favorite:  Tacoma.  U-District and Queen Anne also look strong.  But I've been wrong a lot in predicting champions.  Everyone will just have to play their games to see who wins.

Chris Burke, co-coordinator

#2 2006-09-06 03:58 pm

franknam
Air Bounce

Re: Fall Geographic Hat League

Greenwood plays Tacoma this week.  I don't know who will cover Dare so I may bribe him with alcohol during the game.  But with the combo of James and Orv along with Becky ... it's gonna be a strong showing with or without him.  Preferably without him.  The Orv to Dare combo is not something I want to see too much of.

FN

Support Youth Ultimate - Be a Coach!

#3 2006-09-06 04:00 pm

Woodiepaddler
Air Bounce

Dare sucks!  I've heard it chanted on the field recently!

#4 2006-09-07 01:41 pm

sambrown
Scoober

Wallingford is night and day from last year's team (that went to the finals, BTW).  I'm the only returning player from the squad.  Very odd that there were a lack guys this year.  I think the club players we had from last year have decided to concentrate on club this season.

In other odd Wallingford news: for the first time in 5 years I've been declined the captain request.  I guess someone else will be getting the hate mail when I think up dirty cheers...hehehe (go SHOCKER!)

Wallingford, if you're reading this, it's going to come down to attendance!  It's going to come down to overcoming the odd conspiracy that has been placed on our once-proud neighborhood.  It's going to come down to our rookies learning the ropes in a hurry (and might I say that the number of rookies on Wallingford seems a bit over-abundant).  It's going to come down to our women (most of whom I don't know) playing like the rockstars I hope they are...and the men not forgetting the women are on the field.  Catches.  Throws.  Running hard.  Not being afraid of the weather that is expected during Seattle's Autumn.

I think that about covers it.  Sheesh, I'm already sounding like a captain.

-Sam

PS - Wallingford RULES!!!

#5 2006-09-07 02:12 pm

chrisburke
Push Pass

Oh no!  DiscNW's anti-Wallingford bias has been exposed at last!  The horror.  Must get our ED on this problem...now where does he live?

C

#6 2006-09-07 02:18 pm

Turbo
Air Bounce

Good job keeping Wallingford down, Burke!

#7 2006-09-08 09:38 am

manzell
Greatest
Website

I don't know how Cap Hill and Pat "Ritual Pump Fake" Solari can be beaten.

"This is why I'm hot."

#8 2006-09-11 06:50 pm

leftydisc
Air Bounce

franknam :

Greenwood plays Tacoma this week.  I don't know who will cover Dare so I may bribe him with alcohol during the game.  But with the combo of James and Orv along with Becky ... it's gonna be a strong showing with or without him.  Preferably without him.  The Orv to Dare combo is not something I want to see too much of.

FN

Well, we did a pretty good job of minimizing Dare's impact.  No one player really hurt us but when a team is as stacked as Tacoma it just means they'll all get you!  Greenwood battled and had our opportunities but were eventually defeated 15-13.  Look out for Greenwood smile

#9 2006-09-12 05:00 am

Woodiepaddler
Air Bounce

Dare only played with his right hand I heard...

PS:  but I agree--look out for Greenwood!

Last edited by Woodiepaddler (2006-09-12 05:01 am)

#10 2006-09-12 07:26 am

sambrown
Scoober

Wallingford had 3-4 people literally playing their first game ever...and it turns out we only have 4 players (from hand count on Sunday) that actually live in Wallingford.  I also noticed there was a Wallingford guy playing on Tacoma (and I'm sure if I digged a little I'd find others elsewhere).

Conclusion: conspiracy against Wallingford.  Bunny beware...I think they're trying to overpower your thrown from the coordinator position.

Not to fear, I'll do everything in my power to protect Wallingford's name with this pseudo-Wallingford squad.  We've got personality...and personality goes a long way, baby!

-Sam

#11 2006-09-12 11:56 am

emery
Backhand

i was thankfully spared the task of creating teams this year, but the teams were made by grouping zip codes. the entire wallingford team is from 98103, and because that area had a lot of signups, several players from there also made it onto other teams. think of every team as [team name] & friends smile

#12 2006-09-20 08:23 am

Turbo
Air Bounce

Did anyone else notice that Burke didn't mention his own team, Lake City, that includes former Shazam Players Emily Grad, Erin Gallagher, Scott Causey and Jon Ladd, plus Rory Gallagher and himself? And Craig and Jacob!
Should this be the true early favorite?

James

chrisburke :

The schedule is up, the rosters will be up later today.

We managed 14 teams.  6 x 14 women signed up.  There are over 100 men on the wait list.  This is down from last year's 18 teams, when we had 24 more women sign up, as well as a similar huge number of men.

A mens' league each season might be a good idea.  No matter how many women sign up, there are always far more men than the coed hat leagues can support.

Nearly everybody is playing on a team from their neighborhood.  Some of the last minute signers-up will have to play for another neighborhood, so that we could achieve balance.  Leaving aside the 100+ extra men, most neighborhoods appear to have a nice balance of men and women.  Exceptions are Redmond, which had way more men than women sign up, and Wallingford, where the numbers were reversed.

Every team will get 8 games, followed by 3 weeks of playoffs.  Since we have 14 teams, the playoff format is not obvious, but it's safe to say if your team finishes in the top 8, you will have a chance at the championship.

The early favorite:  Tacoma.  U-District and Queen Anne also look strong.  But I've been wrong a lot in predicting champions.  Everyone will just have to play their games to see who wins.

Chris Burke, co-coordinator

Last edited by Turbo (2006-09-20 08:25 am)

#13 2006-09-20 09:09 am

sambrown
Scoober

Wow, Turbo...I didn't even notice that.  Yes, it sounds like Lakecity is positioned to take this thing.  I'm sure they're going to take their losses along the way (i.e. sectional and regionals), but if attendance is there then this squad should walk through the finals (or fly if your name is Rory).

When I'm "experienced" and "speed-challenged" I'll probably pad my team like that, too.

-Sam

#14 2006-09-21 10:22 am

chrisburke
Push Pass

Modesty prevented me from naming my own team as a contender.  Though our roster on paper is strong, getting people to show up will be a problem.  We managed to lose our first game, as did all North division teams.

"Pad" my team?  Hey, everyone lives in Lake City.  It's the new trendy neighborhood, haven't you heard?

C

#15 2006-09-21 10:15 pm

lairu
Swilly

Sh#*t, I live in Lake City too!

Otto

Board footer