DiscNW Community Bulletin Boards

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-09 01:07 pm

appleshampoo
Air Bounce

Successor to the Nike Vapor Jet TDs?

These cleats were all the rage among Ultimate players 3 or 4 years ago:
http://www.shoesibuy.com//upfile/310957-141.jpg

Unfortunately they went out of production a while back and I can't find them anywhere online except in odd sizes. 

Anyone know what Nike's successor to this model is, and if it's any good? I had a pair of the standard Speed TDs a while back, but they didn't compare to the lightness and fit of this guy.

Thanks.

Also known as Walnut, or Philbrook

#2 2012-02-09 02:54 pm

sambrown
Scoober

Re: Successor to the Nike Vapor Jet TDs?

Yo Philbrook,

Essentially, if I'm hearing you correct, you feel that the Speed TD is providing as much support as the Vapor, right? I know the newer Speed TD attempted to address that with a more-rigid upper--and a cleat patter reminiscent of the old Vapor you have (at least in the heal box). Just so that you know, they still make the Vapor line (current version is the Vapor Talon), but they've gone away from the rigid support from this earlier model. In other words, they might feel more like Speed TDs (but lighter).

One thing to point out: The Speed TD from 3-4 years ago fit different from the last few Speed TD models. If you haven't tried them recently, you might want to try again (my foot liked the older ones right out of the box, but the newer ones were fine after a break-in period).

Also, you may have some luck with ebay. They tend to have a random retailer who, for some odd reason, has an older shoe like this still bangin' around. If money is no object, the new Talon would set you back almost $150.

#3 2012-02-09 04:20 pm

appleshampoo
Air Bounce

sambrown :

Yo Philbrook,

Essentially, if I'm hearing you correct, you feel that the Speed TD is providing as much support as the Vapor, right?

Um, I don't think so. I had Speed TDs back in 2004-2005, so I probably shouldn't have used that as a reference, it being so long ago. For the record, I liked those fine, but I mistakenly got the full-ankle version when I really wanted the lowest-cut version. So I wasn't really that happy with them.

I know the newer Speed TD attempted to address that with a more-rigid upper--and a cleat patter reminiscent of the old Vapor you have (at least in the heal box). Just so that you know, they still make the Vapor line (current version is the Vapor Talon), but they've gone away from the rigid support from this earlier model. In other words, they might feel more like Speed TDs (but lighter).

One thing to point out: The Speed TD from 3-4 years ago fit different from the last few Speed TD models. If you haven't tried them recently, you might want to try again (my foot liked the older ones right out of the box, but the newer ones were fine after a break-in period).

I've had very few ankle problems in my time, so I prefer a cleat that's as low-cut as possible to cut down on the weight and add flexibility. For me personally, the Vapor TD pictured above was the perfect combination of everything for me. I guess I just have to try what's out there now and see what fits best. Right now I'm leaning toward the Vapor Carbon Fly TD, pricey though at $130 plus shipping (full retail). I got both pairs of Vapor TDs for right at $100.

Also, you may have some luck with ebay. They tend to have a random retailer who, for some odd reason, has an older shoe like this still bangin' around. If money is no object, the new Talon would set you back almost $150.

I looked on eBay and couldn't find anything, but I did find a super-sketchy looking site that claims to have some size 11s left:
Shoes I Buy!.
Not sure if I want to type my credit card into that website. Although I did get both of my 2 pairs of Vapor TDs at Shoe Deals 4 U!, so maybe it's a sign that only sketchy, poorly-named websites still have them around. (ShoeDeals4u seems to have sold out of all size 11s by now).

#4 2012-02-10 08:49 am

sambrown
Scoober

I was looking at the Carbon Fly last year, but then I remembered that I had a kid and a mortgage. I ended up buying some cheap--yet effective--Under Armour cleats. Then, someone decided the bag containing my cleats looked good enough to break my car window for. In self-pity, I rewarded myself with some Speed TDs (I'm thinking they were late 2010, early 2011 model that Big 5 had on sale. Working good for me! Carbon Fly has dropped in price since the Talon has come out--but still up there (on sale for $100 at Eastbay, btw)

#5 2012-02-11 08:20 am

corc
Backhand

You should be able to find the Vapor Carbon Fly under $100. The Vapor Carbon Fly is pretty much everything you've said you're looking for in a cleat.

http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/advanced … carbon+fly

#6 2012-02-11 05:17 pm

Wizard0965
Scoober

On a sketchy website you could just buy a visa prepaid card. Then you are only out the $100 and not a CC# 
Rusty

#7 2012-02-13 10:42 am

appleshampoo
Air Bounce

Well I took a risk and ordered 2 pairs from the sketchy website for $75 each (including shipping). I figure if it works out I got my favoritest cleats ever for pretty cheap, and a second pair for when they wear out.

So far the original charge has come through my CC, but nothing additional or fraudulent. We'll see if I get the cleats - I sure hope so.

Rusty, I wish I had thought about a prepaid card or one of those temporary CC numbers that some companies do. C'est la vie!

#8 2012-02-20 11:36 pm

appleshampoo
Air Bounce

Update! The charge came through on my statement and nothing else fishy has shown up. There was a 3% foreign transaction fee, which wasn't stated ahead of time and could be cause for someone to be upset, but whatever.

They sent me a tracking number and USPS says the shipment is "being processed by United States Customs."

So I'd say this site (Shoes I Buy!) is probably an honest site run in some other country that just has a really bad user interface and a bunch of old stock. But for $75 including shipping for these cleats which were originally much more, can't complain too much.

I'll post back if/when they actually get here. I still feel like I have a fair chance of being bamboozled.

#9 2012-02-23 06:27 pm

appleshampoo
Air Bounce

Yep, I got scammed. What I received in the mail were athletic shoes, but they were definitely not Nike Vapor Jet TDs, and they were not even football cleats! I am not an expert in fake Nike running shoes, but it looks like there's a pretty good chance they're fake too.

What's that quote about your life being a warning for others?

Anyway, I'm attempting to initiate a return/refund with the 3rd party intermediary, but obviously I'm not optimistic. I'm also going to call my credit card company, but I doubt they can do anything about since I did receive goods and there were no technically fraudulent charges...just "incorrect" merchandise.

#10 2014-02-24 03:44 pm

appleshampoo
Air Bounce

#11 2014-02-24 04:12 pm

appleshampoo
Air Bounce

Okay, I've decided to change my strategy to attempt to get the "last generation" of premier Nike football cleats on eBay, hopefully at a discount. Let me just interject here that I hate marketing departments and their stupid fancy names. Just assign your highest quality cleats a simple name, and use that name year-to-year.

From what I can tell based on the Nike website itself in combination with 3rd-party availability, the "Vapor Carbon Fly TD" I was looking at when I created this thread 2 years ago is...this? Maybe?
Eastbay Link.

However, the Vapor Talon that Sam mentioned is available on eBay at pretty good discounts. One option.

Due to my unfortunate ACL injury, my old Vapor Jet TDs are still usable for the time being.

Board footer