DiscNW Community Bulletin Boards

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-26 10:24 pm

Grant5
Swilly

Any games up in Everett?

I live in Everett and it seems clear that ultimate popularity is not as strong here as in Seattle. I'm curious if there are any pick up games or informal groups playing up in this area? I checked the pick up game list that shows one at Forest Park, but I've emailed the host with no response and the post is a little old. Unfortunately, I didn't find this site until too late for the summer hat league. And I signed up for the fall hat league but lost out in the lottery. I don't know any teams, and frankly I don't think a team would want me. Bit out of shape. I just want to get off my butt and throw the disc...anybody in Everett? I know I can hit up one of the Seattle pick up games, just didn't want to drive that far. Thanks,

#2 2016-09-27 06:05 pm

AndyO
Scoober

Re: Any games up in Everett?

Are you looking for afternoons, weekends, or lunchtime?

used to be fast, now I'm just old

#3 2016-09-27 06:56 pm

Grant5
Swilly

Probably weekends, but a weekday evening could work.

#4 2016-11-07 10:30 am

docpacey
Swilly

Northend is tough, no doubt.  I live in mukilteo and manage to play 3 times per week at least, but not without effort.
Options: best option for out of shape, don't have a team, need to make ulti friends is weekday pickup.
Boeing-ish game is m-w-fri at kasch park at 11:45. it's a unique game with it's own rules but it's pretty close to ultimate and very welcoming to all, though not very gender diverse.

Bothell game is also m-w-fri at noon (northcreek playfields) a bit further to drive, but a solid game and a solid group with a diverse skill range. rain or shine all year. i play there every wednesday, some mondays, some fridays. games often go until 130, so even if you can't make noon you can still have time to play.

The forest park game is pretty low-key. there is a facebook page, and games are hit or miss, mostly players who play in the edmonds summer pick-up game wednesday nights.

there is also a sunday game on whidby, but i am short on details other than knowing some of the players.

there are lots of players from up north, but the discnw leagues are so much more consistent that it's been hard to envision a competing weeknight league that's just northend. filed space is a huge deal, because soccer is a big presence at kasch park on weeknights.

I would suggest trying to show up for one of the weekday games, make some friends in the community (that's pretty easy to do) and go from there.

#5 2016-11-07 06:02 pm

AndyO
Scoober

I play at the Kasch Park MWF noon game on Fridays - agree that there are some strange rules, but the game has been going for more than 20 years.  The Bothell MWF noon game also has been going for years, and is better quality.  Their web post on the pickup page says 'business days', but they always have a bonus game on holidays - Friday after Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, Jan 1st, etc.

Going further south, there is a noon Tues / Thursday pickup in Kirkland - it rotates between 2 fields to save the grass in the winter. 

Also a Kirkland game from 10.00 to at least noon on Saturday at Crestwood Park / Kirkland JHS.  Good quality with older, slower folks showing up later for when the young guns start to slow down.   I heard that the same group plays on Thursday evenings, but with the lack of daylight, that may be a summer only thing.

I played in the Sunday game on Whidbey Island a few weeks ago when they made an effort to organize a come as you are pickup tournament - good turnout with varied age age and skill ranges.  Their core group plays year-round regardless of weather, but sometimes their turnout is low and they end up playing box.  No Sunday bus service on the island means mainlanders need to drive on the ferry - or drive all the way around on Deception pass.

There was a Saturday morning (8.00 AM!) pickup at Gateway Middle school in Silver Firs / South Everett a few years back - it was a long-running event, but I think it has devolved into a holiday only, word spread on facebook thing.

used to be fast, now I'm just old

Board footer