DiscNW Community Bulletin Boards

You are not logged in.

#51 2014-01-20 11:49 pm

cmoney
Swilly

Re: Looking for a team? Helpful Hints

Hi prospective teammates,

My name is Carson and I have lived in Seattle for about four months. I hope people still check this because I would love to join a team for Spring League.

Here's a quick overview of me:

Name: Carson Mailler
Height: 6'3"
Frisbone experience:
ARHS Varsity class of 2009
University of Michigan (MagnUM) A: 2009-2013
Big Wrench 2010
Preferred positions: Handler (I started on O for 3 years and D for one at Michigan), but I love to cut deep and jump high. I prefer wing or deep in a zone but cup works too!
My opinion on how Ultimate should be played: http://ultiworld.com/2013/02/14/the-spi … criticism/

I'm a little rusty and a bit out of shape from a few months out of it but I've been going to pickup and getting active again. I've got a high Ultimate IQ and I'm all about mental toughness!

I'm looking for a team that will play at a high level but will also have a good time. I love to love my teammates!

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Carson

#52 2014-02-21 04:51 pm

vondassw
Backhand

Hey ladies and gents,

I'm Wes, I just moved here fresh out of college and lookin to play ultimate.

I played at Lafayette College (coed, DIII-Open) for 3 years, we came 2nd in sectionals (spring 2013). Last fall I played in Ireland at University College Dublin.
Been getting back into shape after a hip injury that happened 4 months ago.
Flatballa stats:
5'11''
Handled as a senior, but prefer to be making cuts.
I excel on offense, but play a dogged D too. Not a huge vertical threat, but good runner and can read a disc.
Prior to frisbee I played high school football in Florida and a year of college ball at Lafayette.

Looking for a team that wants to be competitive, but I realize I'm not a super high level player. Would prefer to play with players that socialize together, but I just want to get playing as often as possible.

All The Best,
Wes

#53 2014-02-23 11:28 pm

zzzzzzz
Swilly

Hi all,

Just moved to Seattle a week ago and looking to join a spring league team if at all possible.

Stats:
age 24
5-7"

Experience:
played some in college (Olin, small school in New England), but most experience/skill-building came from playing the club circuit in China last year.

Iím comfortable being backup handler (dump cuts, throws, etc.), and prefer that, but Iím cool with cutting as well (Iíd say Iím on the average, or slightly faster than average with respect to speed among guys, based on the pickup games Iíve been to) Throwing hucks or with high winds, not so comfortable with, but hope to develop that here.

Biggest weakness is probably my height, especially in defense, so when I play D I tend to mark the handler or give taller people the incut.

Iíve been to a few pickup games so far (including the DiscNW organized ones at Magnuson), and, talking to people there, I feel like Iíd fit in well in the C-league.

Any leads would be awesome.

Thanks
-Steven

Last edited by zzzzzzz (2014-02-23 11:31 pm)

#54 2014-02-26 05:27 pm

jaseczka
Swilly

Hi,
I moved in to Bellevue last week and I am looking for a team and new friends.

Previously I've lived in Warsaw, Poland and trained there for almost 2 years with coed team 4hands. At last nationals we arrived 9th in coed and 2nd in women division. I attended approx. 20 tournaments so far (e.g. EUCR-E-X and G-SPOT). I fear that level of ultimate here is much more higher and I should consider myself as a very beginner smile

I play as a cutter. I am quite fast and rather reliable receiver but yet I have to work on my disc skills a lot, especially when under pressure. Maybe that is why I like playing defense wink With my Warsaw team we played vertical and, more recently, ho stack. In defense: man, several zones (I played in cup), clam. We did a lot of experiments wink

Stats: Age: 25; Height: 5'3''

Magdalena Teperowska

#55 2014-03-26 11:15 pm

jduyker
Swilly

As someone new to DiskNW this sticky has not very helpful to me for finding a team.
And yes I know that maybe with a little more patience, I will find a team, but..

the whole lack or organization seems something that could be easily fixed!

1. There doesn't seem to be a good way to find a team. (posting somewhere and hoping someone responds maybe... if the team captains are looking>.....)

2. You can't find which teams play in your area.

Why isn't there a reliable method to see what teams play in what general areas? (shouldn't this be on each team's page?) and if they are looking for more players.
Then, if they are, you could send your resume to them... like... a job...

This current method makes NO SENSE to me.

for someone just trying to enter the system (like me) it is totally confusing and discouraging.

#56 2014-04-06 01:27 pm

Neal_Parker
Flick

You can try posting on these boards, but from my experience it's much easier to find a team by playing in the hat leagues.

#57 2014-04-07 09:42 am

bunny
Executive Director
Website

jduyker :

As someone new to DiskNW this sticky has not very helpful to me for finding a team.
And yes I know that maybe with a little more patience, I will find a team, but..

the whole lack or organization seems something that could be easily fixed!

1. There doesn't seem to be a good way to find a team. (posting somewhere and hoping someone responds maybe... if the team captains are looking>.....)

2. You can't find which teams play in your area.

Why isn't there a reliable method to see what teams play in what general areas? (shouldn't this be on each team's page?) and if they are looking for more players.
Then, if they are, you could send your resume to them... like... a job...

This current method makes NO SENSE to me.

for someone just trying to enter the system (like me) it is totally confusing and discouraging.

Hello and welcome to DiscNW!  I am sorry to hear that you are discouraged in your search to find a team.

Many Captains do visit these forums when looking for players.  Some even post here when they are looking to fill out a roster.  However, as you have found, there is no guarantee that players will have success with this method.

It is very common for teams to recruit using their own personal networks.  And as another poster suggested, playing in the hat leagues is a very good way to meet other players and find a team.  Summer hat leagues information will be posted soon at discnw.org.

Most Seattle based league teams do not practice regularly, and many have players from all over the metropolitan area.  So, listing a location might not be very useful.  Regardless, there is a "Region" field on the team page that teams may use to list their location if they choose. 

Facebook is a good way to find out who is playing in areas outside of Seattle.  There are FB groups for Tacoma, Edmonds, Puyallup, Olympia, and South Whidbey to name a few.

We are open to suggestions for making it easier to find teams.  Feel free to email info@discnw.org with any comments or ideas.

Thanks and good luck!

William Bartram
Executive Director, DiscNW

#58 2014-04-30 12:25 am

Jack!
Backhand

Hi,
My name is Jack and I just moved back to Seattle (Capital Hill) after living in Philadelphia for the last five years. It may be too late but I would like to see if I could join a mixed Summer league team.

I am 6'4" and I played for WWU Dirt team in college from 2002-2006. Since then I've played league and some club for the last four years in Philly.

I was a strong player on a club team that went to regionals last year (BitMap). And I also played for a short period of time on the Philadelphia professional AUDL team the Phoenix. However I was one of the weaker players on the AUDL team and ended up eventually getting cut.

I am comfortable handling or cutting deep. Average speed, enjoy throwing flick hucks, like to dance. 

If anyone knows of any teem looking for a player (either league or club) let me know.
Thanks,
Jack
email JackAubin@gmail.com

#59 2014-08-18 11:55 am

elidgabel
Backhand

Hi my name is Eli,

I am a man looking for a A or B league team for this fall.

Resume:
-6'3" and fast
-very good backhand, forehand, breaks, no look passes...
-comfortable handling, cutting, defense, whatever
-playing pickup around seattle now, played in the past at University of pittsburgh and in some leagues in NJ
-I am currently a preschool teacher in wedgewood and I live in greenlake

just looking for a fun group of people to go and run around with

smile
hope you pick me up
Eli
elidgabel@gmail.com

#60 2014-08-28 10:37 am

xtion
Blade

Looking for female players for Fall league in C pool.

Email: xtion111177@gmail.com if you are intreated.

#61 2014-09-26 05:38 pm

jbrown
Swilly

Hey, I'm looking for a team to play for in Fall League A or B! I know missed the registration by a long shot, but I'll pay for my part of the team fee even if it's already paid for!

I live in North Seattle. You can contact me here:
ehuynyh1234@hotmail.com

Hopefully I can get a team!

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited by jbrown (2014-09-26 05:39 pm)

#62 2014-09-27 04:49 pm

ermcarr
Swilly

Hi!

My name is Erin, I'm 23 and just moved to Seattle last week. I'm looking for a fun, recreation and middle-competitive team to play with - coed or women's teams are both great!

Background - I'm from Nebraska, but I played for Saint Louis University in St. Louis Missouri (Go Bills!) as a handler for three years and a cutter for one. I have moderate skill as a handler, and am always up for a good challenge on the field. My team went to Midwest Regionals each year I was on teh team, and consistently moved up from our stack, if we didn't place. I've also played summer club for two years in St. Louis and loved every minute.

I am strong in defense (man or zone) and have a pretty good huck. I haven't played for about a year due to finishing school, so I am more than ready to get back into the ultimate family. I was social captain for my team and our boys team for a year and a half, and enjoy any game of ultimate that I can join.

If you need a female on your team, or want to be friends with someone from Nebraska, my email is em4carroll@gmail.com!

#63 2014-11-19 11:34 am

mohinder
Swilly

Hi, my name is Mohinder

I'm 35 and recently moved to Redmond. I'm looking for a recreation and middle-competitive team to play with - coed or men's teams both are great!

I am from India, I have played ultimate for team "Disc-O-Tech" as a cutter. These days I am playing pick up games(PickUpNinja).

I am strong in defense, basic!! skill as a handler, always up for a good challenge on the field, I love the way ultimate is played, I enjoy every game of ultimate.  I run fast(most of people I have played says so) smile

If you need a male on your team, my email is mohinder.atwal@gmail.com

#64 2015-02-04 08:13 pm

jrich1925
Swilly

Hello everyone, my name is Jhescie Richardson. Pronounced Jesse.

I moved to the Seattle Area about 8 months ago from Boise and I really would like to start trying to get into a Spring League team for 2015 if possible.
I am 20 years old and I have played ultimate for 5 years now starting in 10th grade! Primarily handling but definitely quick and skilled enough to play the field as well. Our team won state championship my senior, and I have played for 3 Boise City League and took second place with my all mens team. I have learned from a lot of older players and like to think my defense and offense make me a good player to pick up.
Fast hands, not afraid to layout, and can put accurate passes to my teammates.

If anybody needs to pick up a play I would love to get back on a team and meet some of the Ultimate community in this part of the Northwest.  If interested please e-mail me at  jrich1925@gmail.com Thanks!

#65 2015-02-11 06:32 pm

awillson13
Swilly

Hey! My name is Andrea (Dre), and I'm looking for a spring league team.

I moved to Seattle in September from Boulder, CO. I'm in my eighth year of playing overall, and spent the last 4 as a handler for the University of Colorado's women's team, Kali. I also played for Jackwagon, the second tier women's club team in Colorado.

My favorite throws are any/all hucks, and big IOs. My claim to fame on defense is point blocks.

If a 23 year old female handler sounds like a good addition to your team, let me know! My email address is anwi9111@colorado.edu

#66 2015-07-25 10:51 am

smesse
Swilly

Hi all- My name is Sam and I'm looking to join up with a Fall team for the upcoming team league!

I just recently moved back to Seattle after having a wild, Ultimate filled decade+ in California. The jobs I did are secondary to the great Ultimate I played during that time! I started playing in San Francisco and led the build-up of the Ultimate scene on campus at San Francisco State. I played on a couple club teams during that time, Cil My Landlord (mixed) and Pirate Bay (Men's). We improved leaps and bounds every year and it was a great introduction to the talented play and level I needed to maintain to be successful in the Bay Area.

Since then, my jobs have taken me all over the place. I had a chance to be back in Seattle temporarily 4 years ago and practiced with Ghetto Birds a lot during that time and went to every pick-up game I could! Recently, I was in Los Angeles, playing every fun tournament possible with competitive teams and thrived in the beach play down there! At Potlatch and LeiOut, I play with All Knight Dance Party so if you've seen a team with knightly garb and a knighting ceremony complete with mead, that's my team!

I'm 5' 10", good at directing the flow of offense in the handler spot, have solid lefty throws short and deep, enjoy cutting (especially popping) and I play solid defense. Always happy to go on for D points!

Hit me up at samuel_messe@hotmail.com! Thanks a lot everyone, I'm excited to be back up in this awesome community!

#67 2015-08-13 06:44 am

Mayorbaldassarre
Swilly

Hey guys,

My name is Drew and I'm looking to get onto a team last minute for the fall league. I am moving back to Seattle after living abroad in South America for the last year. I graduated from Gonzaga in 2014 and was the captain for 2 years of GURU the men's team. I have a ton of experience I have been playing ultimate for about 10 years now and I have played out in New England where I grew up as well as in Mexico, Colombia, Chile and Argentina. I have exceptional throwing abilities and can play anywhere in a teams offense. I love running around on defense too. I am a really fun guy that I think brings a lot to any team and would love it if someone picked me up this fall. I have played at all levels of ultimate including club for a team in CT\MA that was known as Slow Children as well as Watchmen. My email is mayorbaldassarre@gmail.com. I'm really looking forward to some quality ultimate in Seattle!

#68 2015-09-15 11:47 am

mariasumner29
Swilly

Hey!

I'm new to Seattle and interested in picking up with a fall league team if it's not too late. I've been playing for 8 years now: with Tsunami- a women's team in Missouri through college, with Kuru (Iku's ragtag other half) in Tokyo, and lots of mixed pickup in Iowa.

I'm cutter, female, age 27, and I like to run. Let me know if I can help you out! My email is mariasumner29 at gmail. See you on the field!

#69 2016-01-15 09:28 am

mbchandl
Swilly

Moving to Seattle for a job. Play competitive ultimate at both the college and club level. I'm looking for a team to play with for Spring league. Let me know if you need a player!

5 10, 170. Strong cutter, strong defender. Can handle as well.

Email is mbchandl@gmail.com

Thanks!

Last edited by mbchandl (2016-01-15 09:30 am)

#70 2016-01-15 05:38 pm

beastcoast13
Backhand

Not sure how successful this post will be, but I'm looking for a team for the Spring team league.

My name is Bret, I moved out here about 4 months ago, and I've been playing ultimate for 5 years. I like beer, long walks on the beach, smooth jazz, and beer.

I've played for my college team, mixed club, and one season in the AUDL (Rochester Dragons R.I.P.), and I like to think I haven't improved whatsoever. Consistently inconsistent some might say, but consistent nonetheless.

I've got a bum knee and a bad shoulder, but I love ultimate so I'll just keep playing until I fall apart. HMU if you need a radical dude with some gnar moves.

bscoffey13@gmail.com

#71 2016-02-03 09:57 am

cshill4206
Swilly

Looking for a spring league team to join!  Who needs one more male for their team?

Just moved here 2 months ago from Minneapolis, MN.  I played ultimate there for about 7 years now, both in the competitive and semi-recreational spring/summer city leagues.  Also played summer league in Albuquerque, NM (2014 summer league champs!).  I'm both handler and cutter, happy to play in the cup or deep on zone-D.  What else?  I'm 6' tall, like to run, and I'll probably bring my puppy to games to sit on the sidelines.  I guess he'll be full-grown by the time spring league roles around.

Let me know!  Looking forward to getting on a team here in Seattle.
Craig
hill.craig.s@gmail.com

#72 2016-02-14 05:25 pm

alexthescientist
Swilly

I'm looking for a spring league team to join!

I'm a 22-year-old male, graduated from college last year and have been back in Seattle for the past 6 months or so. I didn't play for an official team in college but played three seasons of intramural and have been playing a lot of pickup since moving back in the area. Now that I'm more settled in I'd like to get a bit more serious!

I'm a better cutter than handler, but have reliable throws at mid-range and can manage fairly good longer flicks. I work hard on defense and I'm always looking to learn more and improve!

Let me know if you need a new teammate!

Alex
iscandar@live.fr

#73 2016-02-18 05:32 pm

Serenity459
Swilly

Hey,

I just moved to the area about two weeks ago and am looking for a good group of people to play with.

I've played ultimate For about 9 years. I've played with a club team and in the team for Missouri State University. I enjoy playing semi-seriously, having a good time while playing competitively and keeping spirit of the game high.

Preferred offense pos: wing
Preferred defense pos: cup
Righty
6'4"
27 years old

Serenity459@hotmail.com

Look forward to throwing a disc around here soon!

#74 2016-04-04 03:00 pm

Shakakai
Swilly

I'm looking for a spring league team!

I just moved to Seattle a couple months ago and its about time I got back to tossing the disc. I've played ultimate for 14 years as a combination handler/mid.  In a three tier league (A,B,C), I'm normally a B-league player. I've got a good strategic eye for the game and I'll probably push for zone defense or heads up switching. In college (WFU), my team made it to regionals two years in a row. Since college, I've stayed active with league play in New York (2005), Boston (2006), Shanghai (2007-2010), San Francisco (2011-2013), and Austin (2014-15). I probably know someone that you know in the ultimate community big_smile

Right handed
6'0"
32yo
male

Hit me up!

Cheers,
Todd Cullen
culltp1@gmail.com

#75 2016-04-14 09:30 pm

Rustybucket
Swilly

My 17 yr old daughter hallie and her friend Emily are moving 20 minutes away from Olympia until they find jobs and then they are moving into Olympia and hopefully going to Evergreen College. I'm an old Boise ultimate player from 30 years ago in boise.original spudboi.  My daughter has little or no experience with ultimate but I really want her to experience the ultimate phenomena and culture.they are punk rocker musicians. Is there an environment where they can feel comfortable and get introduced to the sport perhaps like open play on Sundays or something like that? Please let me know I think this would be a great thing for my daughter to do while she's going to college along with her musical aspirations. Spirit of the game!

Board footer